Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actor and Actress

The countdown to the 86th Annual Academy Awards begins, as we are less than a week away from the big ceremony! The nominees have been announced, and the race has been hotter than ever. Who will take home the golden prize, and who will go home empty-handed? Guessing winners can be a bit dizzying with frontrunners constantly changing, but have no fear! Movie and Oscar fanatics Molly Oretsky and Stephen Proler are here to share their predictions for the six major categories. Let’s begin with Best Supporting Actor and Best Supporting Actress!

Best Supporting Actor

Nominees: Barkhad Abdi (“Captain Phillips”), Bradley Cooper (“American Hustle”), Michael Fassbender (“12 Years a Slave”), Jonah Hill (“The Wolf of Wall Street”), Jared Leto (“Dallas Buyers Club”)

MollyJared Leto must have done something productive during his six-year hiatus from acting because he sure came back with a vengeance. There is no doubt in my mind that he will be victorious on Oscar night. He courageously dove into the role of Rayon, a sassy transgender woman addicted to drugs and dying from AIDS. Like his costar, he shed major weight for the part but also gave sincerity to what was already a flashy character from the get-go. It was less about the wild makeup and disintegrating appearance, but more about the struggle of a drug-addicted woman trapped in a man’s body who, though constantly surrounded by a disapproving southern community, walks with shoulders back and head held high. He struts in his stilettos with an undeniable swagger, but the real pain underneath shows in his eyes. It’s incredible. His “Thirty Seconds to Mars” band mates better be ready with the champagne. He’ll be taking this award home Sunday night.

StephenI have Jared Leto for the win in this category, no question about it. Leto’s transformation into Rayon, a depressed transsexual that has recently been informed that he has tested positive for HIV, is truly remarkable. My emotions were all over the place, my eyes full of tears of sorrow and laughter, as I forgot I was watching Leto onscreen. His portrayal beats any other nominee, especially Bradley Cooper with curls. Sorry Mr. Cooper it wasn’t working for you. Jonah Hill was nominated this year, and I have great respect for him. However, his role of Donnie Azoff did not seem that impressive to viewers. Besides that, there is the guy nominated from Captain Phillips who said the entire time, “I’m the captain now,” and Michael Fassbender in “12 years a Slave” delivered a great portayal, but not enough for an Oscar. My vote is for Rayon. My vote goes to the guy who wore countless dresses and makeup for the role. My vote is for Jared Leto.

Best Supporting Actress

Nominees: Sally Hawkins (“Blue Jasmine”), Jennifer Lawrence (“American Hustle”), Lupita Nyong’o (“12 Years a Slave”), Julia Roberts (“August: Osage County”), June Squibb (“Nebraska”)

Molly: There is one nominee who is the apple of both the internet and the Academy’s eye. Jennifer Lawrence. American Hustle has a crowded cast to say the least, chock full of Oscar darlings. The list of dominating actors is endless. An unrecognizable, fat and bald Christian Bale, a fast-talking yet bumbling Bradley Cooper, a sharp and sultry Amy Adams, an affable and naive Jeremy Renner, and it even managed to throw in legend Robert DeNiro and comedic powerhouse Louis C.K.  Yet, walking away from the film, no other character stuck in my mind more than Lawrence’s off-the-wall, “smell-my-nails” Rosalyn Rosenfeld. Lawrence plays her with sheer comedic force, challenging Christian Bale’s hunched con man with determination and, in her mind, all-knowing wit. She has incredible comedic timing, but knows how to reach into Rosalyn’s bipolar, emotional temper in an instant. It’s a fantastic portrayal that threatens to steal the packed movie and will earn her yet another Oscar. If she doesn’t win, I’ll blow up my science oven and blame it on you.

Stephen: And the Oscar goes to….. Katniss Everdeen from District 12! Oh wait wrong person! My vote for best supporting actress goes to Jennifer Lawrence for her portrayal of Rosalyn Rosenfeld, a crazy beautiful woman that unknowingly attempts to foil her husband (Christian Bale) Irving’s “Hustle.” Lawrence’s raw talent as an actress continues to stun me. Her transformation into Rosalyn reminds me constantly of that crazy aunt or cousin everyone has in their family. She’s the type of person that always believes they are correct and gives the most outrageous excuses for any problems. Although Roberts, Squibb and Hawkins, in my opinion, have no chance at winning the gold trophy, “12 Years a Slave”’s Lupita Nyong’o has a very small but good chance to be the upset this Sunday. In conclusion, both my heart and vote goes to the “girl on fire”, Jennifer Lawrence, for best supporting actress.

Stephen and Molly happened to agree this time, but next time will be very different! Check tomorrow for their opinions on this year’s nominees for Best Actor and Best Actress. Do you agree with today’s predictions? Vote in the poll below!

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.