Model United Nations club is reengergized before competition season

Nov 19, 2014

courtesy of Patricia Edaburn

Members of the Model United Nations Club participated in the 19th annual Model United Nations San Antonio competition on the campus of Trinity University.

On Sept. 11, the Model United Nations club had its first meeting of the year. Members of the club attend conferences in downtown and San Antonio, there they work with other students from across the state to come up with solutions to social issues. Attendees of the conference follow are assigned a country and an actual committee of the United Nations and are required to follow parliamentary procedures. Senior Marina Finley entered her second year as President of the club.

“This year we have continued to grow in membership and so far we have four countries — South Africa, Lichtenstein, Monaco, and Norway – for HAMUN (Houston Area Model United Nations competition) and Ms. Edaburn has requested a fifth, San Marino.”

The main goal of this club is to improve public speaking and policy analysis skills while creating a fun atmosphere for all members. The two sponsors for the club, Mark Kelley and Patricia Edaburn, show great passion and enthusiasm for the club.

“I hope for the students to be successful in competition in January. I also plan to teach them everything they know and to provide them with recourses,” said Edaburn.

The first conference, Model United Nations San Antonio (MUNSA), is on Jan. 8 in San Antonio on the Trinity University campus.

“I had so much fun at MUNSA two years ago,” Finley said. “I am so glad we get to go again this year. We were worried we weren’t going to have enough people, like last year, but we managed to meet the requirement.”

The Model United Nations club meets every other Thursday in Kelley’s room, 308. Information about the club meetings can be found outside Kelley’s room or at http://bellairemun.blogspot.com/