Photo provided by Emma Kay

[HOB] Emma Kay

Singer/songwriter’s journey through music

“I started singing since I was a kid. I remember my family always made me sing in front of people when I was little. But, I didn’t really start songwriting until COVID-19 hit. I was struggling, and I thought to myself ‘I’m just gonna write a song.’ I was always told by my parents or therapists in the past that I should write stuff down and I thought ‘That’s stupid, why would I do that?’ Then I started doing it, and later it turned into a song.  So, I kept doing it. The other day I was walking down the stairs and I was wearing my boots, and there was a rhythm. I pulled out my voice memo when nobody was looking, it’s really funny because no one knows that I’m doing it. But, when I write really good music is when I’m actively feeling an emotion I haven’t felt in a while. I have very complex emotions that I don’t really know how to explain, but I can express them in a poetic way through music. Ever since I was a kid, I’d have melodies in my head. I can still remember them— it’s weird. That’s how I study for tests, I come up with a really stupid song and I usually get an A; I think through music. I’ve been in choir for all four years of high school. Singing with people is more fun than I thought. It’s nice to have a group of people that actively care about something and want to work towards a goal. Writing music is a really nice outlet for my emotions.”

Three Penny Press • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in