Biology sponsored trip to Costa Rica promotes hands-on learning

Oct 24, 2014

Former student Sarah Espinosa picks up a fluttering friend on the last school trip to Costa Rica.

courtesy of Anna Loonam

Over spring break, AP Biology teacher, Anna Loonam will be taking a group of students on a nine day trip to Costa Rica. The trip is arranged by Education First Educational Tours, an organization dedicated to helping students gain new perspectives through experiential learning.

Loonam has gone on five educational trips, four of which featured Costa Rica as the destination.

“Each year we do something a little different,” Loonam said. “I like Costa Rica because we’re outside, and there’s a lot of science involved. My favorite memory was watching a giant sea turtle lay eggs.”

The trip is composed of two parts. The first takes students on educational tours that showcase the region’s biodiversity. The tour covers two national parks, the Tortuguero National Park, home to endangered sea turtles and La Fortuna National Park, a rainforest filled with waterfalls. The second part of the trip is a two day leadership conference in San Jose. The conference will feature speakers who will address environmental and sustainability issues. Afterwards, students from all around the world will get the chance to work in groups to create solutions to these issues.

This year’s summit will feature keynote speaker Jane Goodall, a renowned anthropologist and primatologist. Goodall made new discoveries about the relationship between humans and chimpanzees from studying chimpanzees in Tanzania for over 45 years. Today, Goodall is an activist in conservation and was named UN messenger of peace.

Loonam is eager for the students to be able to work alongside world leaders. She encourages everyone who is interested to contact her for more information. Loonam also recalls some of her previous trips included diverting activities.

“This trip is open to everyone — students and parents,” Loonam said. “Some fun excursions include whitewater rafting, zip lining, and visiting hot springs.”