Senior+Jack+Zhang+adds+sealant+to+a+window+to+keep+the+draft+out.+

Tonya Chen

Senior Jack Zhang adds sealant to a window to keep the draft out.

Habitat for Humanity helps Houston’s homes

Oct 29, 2014

The sounds of the pressure washer blends with the clinks of paint cans and the voices of 20 student volunteers ready to sweat. They have a tough task in front of them- rebuilding the exterior of a timeworn house.

On Saturday, Oct. 25, members of Habitat for Humanity worked on their first project of the year. ReBuild Houston, the city’s initiative to improving Houston’s infrastructure, assigned the club a house. Besides assistance with supplies and instructions, the members had to independently carry out the plans

Senior Jack Zhang, the Vice President of Habitat for Humanity walked around with a tool belt and power drill in his hand, giving advice to new members. Zhang took pride in the fact that the project was not supervised by adults and that volunteers have to rely on their own abilities. For five hours, volunteers worked on caulking cracks, power washing the walls, painting the exterior, installing door handles and more.

“Today’s build is level one out of the four levels, so it is the easiest level,” Zhang said “Not a lot of power tools are used, and it focuses on the basics of building. I think it is perfect for inexperienced people.”

Perhaps most importantly, the purpose of this build resonates along the object of the club. Habitat for Humanity works to give people in poverty a place to live. Volunteers gave back to the community but also received a broader perspective on the lives of others.

“The event is social, especially with the homeowner,” Zhang said. “You can talk to them to see how their lives are different from yours. They’re challenged in different ways. For example, today, the homeowner only makes about $2,000 a year. It is very difficult for them to hire a contractor and purchase materials.”

After a successful first build, the club plans to have several other projects throughout the year.