Russian club hosts free teacher appreciation luncheon

Nov 3, 2014

Substitute teacher Phillis Miles enjoys her lunch provided by the Russian Club.

Ka'tia Shields

On Oct. 10, the Russian Club hosted an appreciation luncheon for the faculty. The club supplied a variety of food including chips, fruits, sandwiches, pizza and beverages. Members of the Russian Club participated by handing out food and greeting the teachers. Junior Andie Alexander, co-president of the Russian Club, elaborated on how the members prepared for the event.

“The food for the teacher appreciation luncheon had to be donated,” Alexander said. “We also had popcorn sales and t-shirt sales to help pay for items in the luncheon and for money for additional activities.”

Junior Julia Kurganskaya, treasurer of the Russian Club, shared her experience with the club and what she did to contribute to the luncheon.

“I am the treasurer, so I keep up with all of the funds we raise and donate it to the Texas Film Festival,” Kurganskaya said. “In Russian club, we plan different activities and do many different projects for example, the annual teacher appreciation luncheon and vale-o-grams for Valentine’s Day. We get donated food, flowers, and awesome prizes for our amazing teachers to show thanks for all that they do for us,”

Alexander continued to describe why she initially join Russian club.

“We have a lot of volunteering opportunities such as volunteering at the Turkey Trot and the Goldberg Old Folks Home where a lot of elderly Russians live,” Alexander said. “We also have native Russian speakers come to speak to members of the club. I joined the club because I felt that taking Russian would open up opportunities for me socially and culturally. One of my favorite experiences while in the club was the Russian food tasting party. There’s a lot of foreign food that people aren’t used to.”

Russian club will have its next event on Nov. 27, volunteering at the Turkey Trot.