Model United Nations president leads club to second successful conference

Feb 10, 2015

courtesy of Patricia Edaburn

Members of the Model United Nations Club participated in the 19th annual Model United Nations San Antonio competition on the campus of Trinity University.

If you have watched the episode of Parks and Recreation where Leslie Knope attended a high school Model United Nations (MUN) meeting and then set off a chain of ensuing shenanigans with the rest of the Pawnee Parks and Rec office, you might think MUN is all fun and games.

If that is the case, you are only half right.

The Model United Nations club is an extracurricular that, while definitely fun and rewarding, is very active and engaging. Sponsored by World History teacher Mark Kelley and AP United States History Patricia Edaburn, MUN is a part of collective MUNS across the globe, and asks that its members be as committed as the other members across the street, town, state or country. MUN president and senior Marina Finley explained about what MUN members took part in this year.

“We’ve gone to two Model UN conferences this school year, one in Houston and one in San Antonio,” Finley said. “At both these competitions, Bellaire students won multiple awards won multiple awards recognizing their work as outstanding United Nations delegates.”

The San Antonio conference was held on Jan. 7-9 followed by the Houston conference on Jan. 29-30. These conferences allow high schoolers to see what it would be like to work in real world political situations. Finley elaborates on why it is so meaningful to be a part of MUN.

“Participating in Model United Nations is the closest a high school student can get to engaging in meaningful real-world diplomacy,” Finley said. “I am honored to have helped give students the opportunity to experience this.”

As President, Finley will be leaving behind big shoes to fill, but she has the confidence in her fellow MUN members to step up when she graduates to college.

“I only hope that the opportunities to engage in diplomacy and craft policy through Model UN have inspired Bellaire’s MUN Club members as much as they’ve inspired me,” Finley said. “While I hope to continue participating in Model UN at Princeton, I know that between Ms. Edaburn and Mr. Kelley, our wonderful club sponsors, and our capable club members, Bellaire’s MUN club will flourish for years to come.”

Finley’s passion and aspirations for MUN are certainly admirable, and the belief she has in MUN for the future inspires her fellow members to go even further and do greater things. Now that’s something Leslie Knope herself would be proud of.

View Comments(1)

Three Penny Press • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

• L

Leslie KnopeFeb 12, 2015 at 11:17 am

I thought that meeting was a disaster!!!! I am glad young people are finally taking MUN seriously. In particular the blonde girl in the back row of the picture reminds me of myself. Keep up the great work TPP! Your online editor-in-chiefs rock. One day “TPP has a website?” will never be uttered again.

Reply
1