Personal Column: Senior shares softball playoff accomplishment with alumni

Molly Oretsky, Online Editor-in-Chief

Apparently, we weren’t “supposed” to win.

Pearland had the “experience” and the “history.”

We had “the curse”, according to Vype.com predictions.

Good thing we didn’t listen.

For over a decade, the Bellaire Lady Cards have continually lost to Pearland in the playoffs, particularly in the fourth round.

It happened my freshman year. It happened my sophomore year. And junior year, when it seemed like we were finally dealt a different hand and faced Brazoswood instead of the perennial Pearland, we coughed up a 9-1 loss, folding and sealing the “fourth round curse.”

And the curse cast its shadow. After last year’s loss, I felt like we were forever fixed on the same path, links on a never-ending chain of fourth round losses that would be all we leave behind when we graduate.

But stepping between the lines in the fourth round my senior year, staring down the barrel of the Oiler maroon, I never felt more sure that this was our time to change history, to break the chain.

To break the curse.

Suddenly, I was tearing across the infield toward our left fielder with the 21st out in her glove, arms outstretched, screaming and crying out in victory while fighting back tears so that I could get a clear vision of the 5-3 score board.

5-3 Bellaire.

I reached the outfield and joined the swarm of my teammates, yelling and cheering in disbelief. From the freshmen who were experiencing their first playoff ride to the seniors who were finally facing the long-awaited feeling of redemption, their faces all showed the same indescribable happiness. I picked up our left fielder in my arms, and she was light as a feather, like my shoulders free of a three-year weight.

I whirled around to see a group of alumni going completely, blissfully insane, and I could feel the history behind what we had just accomplished. Seeing these college girls standing on our field, the same field where they once stood and came up empty handed at the end of their high school careers, left me speechless. They’ve felt the same pain I felt that almost crushed my spirits completely and were here to share this extraordinary moment with the team.

And they knew that we didn’t just do it for us, but for them too.

We face Deer Park in the Regional Final this week, and we could not be more ready. Now that the fourth round shackles have been released, there’s no stopping us. With the curse broken, it’s our turn to do something truly great for all those that came before us. I’ve been waiting to say this for so long, and now I finally can.

On to Round Five.