Finding sparks in concerts

Junior discovers himself in the punk community
Provided by Adrien Starks
For Adrien Starks’s (bottom left) first concert, he went to Super Happy Fun Land in Houston. There he saw and took a photo with the band members of Pinkie Promise (singer Abby, drummer Kaelynn Wright, bassist Lola, and guitarists Ali and Leah.)

Walking into the dark, hot and lightly packed venue, junior Adrien Starks was anxious to fit in. He was going to see his favorite bands: Trashkat, Your Disorder and Pinkie Promise.

But as the night went on, Starks began to loosen up, dancing with others there and even getting into the pit, a typically crowded area closer to the stage.

“[At my first concert,] I was nervous at first to look cool but I realized that it’s not about looking cool,” Starks said. “It’s about being yourself and not really caring what others think.”

Starks listens to indie folk, rock, R&B and rap. However, the concerts he loves to go to are hardcore punk and riot grrrl shows. Hardcore punk is essentially bands with loud, fast paced music, sharp or rough sounding lyrics and an emphasis on minimalist or “stripped down” instrumentals with bass guitars and drumming. Riot grrrl is “an encapsulating” subgenre of punk with a bigger emphasis on feminism and political issues, most popular in the 1970s.

A part of how Starks got into the punk scene was because of AP Language teacher Jennifer Blessington— “his favorite [teacher] ever”– who had a book signing for “Moxie” at the Orange Show. Pinky Promise, a new queer punk band that started two years ago, was playing there.

“Pinkie Promise is what got me into the scene,” Starks said. “I loved their music and wanted to go see where they were playing, so I had my father drop me off at very sketchy establishments to see them and other bands.”

Starks has all the merch from Pinky Promise. Hearing the opening to their signatureー yet to be releasedー song, “Super Not Legal Pool Party,” Starks always feels a shiver of excitement.

“I love Pinkie Promise,” Starks said. “I was there at their first show after they got out of their ‘Girls Rock Camp’ that they started in and I’ve been a fan ever since.”

Starks’s first time going to a concert was at Super Happy Fun Land. Concerned, his dad came alongside him to get a scope of the place to judge if it was safe and ended up “looming in the corner, staring at people.”

“Which– when your dad is really, really, obviously a cop– it doesn’t make people want to talk to you,” Starks said. “So I said, ‘Thanks, dad, but you’re not invited to any more shows.’”

After that Starks started going to various venues, the House of J being his favorite. It was previously shut down due to its complaints about noise and the teenager-attendees in an otherwise residential area, but it is back up and hosting bands again.

A lot of the shows that Starks goes to are free or community-funded, but many also function as fundraisers for crowdsourcing, feeding the homeless and helping families of past riot grrrl artists and fans with memorials.

“I’d say it’s a tight-knit community,” Starks said. “It’s helped a lot of people and it’s helped me discover myself within the queer and punk community because I didn’t know many people who were like me.”

It’s helped Starks in writing and poetry, posting at @worldsokayestpoet.

“A few cool folks that got me into the scene are people who run their own zines, newsletters and poetry collections, which inspired me to write more about my identity and my life, even if mundane,” Starks said. “But my biggest and most frequent muse is my girlfriend, Oli, who has never failed to provide me with a source to write about.”

Now Starks is planning to start his own band this summer alongside her.

“I want to get more involved so people don’t call me a poser [for not going to as many concerts as others,]” Starks said.

To start getting into riot grrrl and hardcore/punk music scenes, Starks recommends reading up on social issues.

“You cannot call yourself punk and not understand your privilege,” Starks said. “Punk was built on being outside of the norm, so if you come from a background of privilege, you need to use it to help other people.”

Punk Band Recommendations
Pinkie Promise
This is Pinkie Promise’s album cover of “i wish you would die.” Pinkie Promise currently has only two songs released on Spotify, the other song being “dixon cider.” Starks’s favorite song has so far only been performed on stage.
This is Pinkie Promise’s album cover of “i wish you would die.” Pinkie Promise currently has only two songs released on Spotify, the other song being “dixon cider.” Starks’s favorite song has so far only been performed on stage. (Graphic by Helen Beebe)

Pinkie Promise is Starks’s favorite queer punk band, which formed in early 2022 Texas. The band members are Abby (Singer), Lola (Bassist/Singer), Ali (Guitarist), Leah (Guitarist/Background Vocals) and Kaelynn (Drummer).

Team Dresch
For Adrien Starkss (bottom left) first concert, he went to Super Happy Fun Land in Houston. There he saw and took a photo with the band members of Pinkie Promise (singer Abby, drummer Kaelynn Wright, bassist Lola, and guitarists Ali and Leah.)
For Adrien Starks’s (bottom left) first concert, he went to Super Happy Fun Land in Houston. There he saw and took a photo with the band members of Pinkie Promise (singer Abby, drummer Kaelynn Wright, bassist Lola, and guitarists Ali and Leah.) (Graphic by Ella Sotiriades)

Team Dresch is a punk rock band formed in 1993. This is Team Dresch's 1995 Personal Best album, one of the many bands Starks likes to listen to. The members of Team Dresch are Donna Dresch, Kaia Wilson, Jody Bleyle, Melissa York, Marceo Martinez and Scott Plouf. Sara Jaffe, a reporter for “them” magazine, states: “Team Dresch were queer punks who made loud music, a version of queerness I could actually want to be.”  

Trashkat
This is Trashkats album cover of Godawful, released in 2020. Trashkat currently has four other released albums.
This is Trashkat’s album cover of “Godawful,” released in 2020. Trashkat currently has four other released albums. (Graphic by Marina Martinez)

"Trashkat" was one of the first bands Starks saw live and one of his favorites to listen to. Trashkat, a country punk band, originated in Houston; the lead singer being Garrett Martin.

G.L.O.S.S.
G.L.O.S.S. made two albums, “Demo” and “Trans Day of Revenge”, each with five songs and each song being about a minute and 30 seconds. The eventually broke up in 2016 due to stress of touring.
G.L.O.S.S. made two albums, “Demo” and “Trans Day of Revenge”, each with five songs and each song being about a minute and 30 seconds. The eventually broke up in 2016 due to stress of touring. (Graphic by Johanna Wen)

G.L.O.S.S. was one of the few bands AP Language teacher Jennifer Blessington recommended to Adrien Starks. It was a trans-feminist hardcore punk band from Washington state, formed in 2014. The members of G.L.O.S.S. were Corey Evans (drums), Sadie "Switchblade" Smith (vocals), Jake Bison (guitar), Tanner Hainsworth (guitar), and Julaya Antolin (bass guitar).

Pansy Division
The essentials Pansy Division released in 2006, featuring their most popular songs from 1992 to 2003. Allmusic, an American online music database, rates it 4.5 out of 5 for their catchy and clever lyrics.
The essentials Pansy Division released in 2006, featuring their most popular songs from 1992 to 2003. Allmusic, an American online music database, rates it 4.5 out of 5 for their catchy and clever lyrics. (Graphic by Johanna Wen)

One of AP Language teacher Jennifer Blessington's recommendations was Pansy Division: a pop punk band formed in 1991 and one of the first openly gay bands. The band is still ongoing, the members being: Jon Ginoli, Chris Freeman, Luis Illades and Joel Reader.