Photographers Leave their Mark in the Museum of Fine Arts Houston

Photo+by+Hannah+Tang+
Photo by Hannah Tang

A red and blue playground set sparkling in the sun. A boy, arms outstretched, knees bent, caught hovering in front of wispy white clouds. Suspended, right there above the ground. Floating. Defying gravity.

The picture, entitled ‘Limitless’ and taken by sophomore Maggie Dib, is one of many photographs in the Museum of Fine Arts Houston (MFAH)’s Eye On Houston: High School Documentary Photography exhibit. The annual exhibit (open from January 11th to April 20th) has been celebrating Houston’s diverse neighborhoods since 1995—although what was originally dubbed the Eye on Third Ward then only included works from students of Jack Yates High School. Over the years, two other high schools—Cesar E. Chavez and Bellaire—have joined in documenting the different perspectives of every-day life. Dib explains the story behind her own colorful creation.

“It was originally for a shoot called ‘Jump’,” Dib said. “Two of my friends were at the park, and one of them jumped off of a playground set. But it’s really cool because I didn’t want him to jump—it just happened. He jumped anyway and I got it at the right second—and I was so happy.”

Sophomore Erin Rice, who has taken three of the pictures now on display in the exhibit, says that it was her father who got her started in photography. Now, it’s not only her passion but also here dream-job (she aspires to one day become a photographic journalist)

“My favorite style is street,” Rice said. “It’s basically just documenting people. It’s cool to see how different everyone is in their everyday life.”

Both agree that practice is key. However, Dib shares another piece of photographic advice.

“Just go crazy with it,” Dib said. “It doesn’t have to be perfect, or have the right lightning or whatever—do whatever you like.”

“Take whatever pictures you want to take,” Rice agreed. “Someone out there is bound to like it.”