Senior Saachi Gupta was one of the many Bollywood Club dancers. Their performance consisted of a mixture of traditional and contemporary dances such as: Kathak and Bharatanatyam.
Cultures collide at the Bellaire International Student Association Fest
Johanna Wen, Art Director • May 3, 2024
Out of 441 responders, 211 AP Precalculus students feel prepared for the AP exam. On the other hand, 230 believe they are not ready. The exam will take place on May 13 at 12 p.m.
Uncalculated uncertainties
Students and teachers express concerns over AP Precalculus
Serena Li, Copy Editor • May 2, 2024
NHS co-advisor Jennifer Kuhleman recognizes NHS scholarship semi-finalists seniors Katelyn Ta,  Aaditya Krishna and Akshay Kapur (left to right). All three of the seniors demonstrated the four pillars of NHS during their time at Bellaire.
National Honor Society welcomes new inductees
Grace Turney and Claire BradfordMay 1, 2024
Burgjohann was awarded First Year Teacher of the Year, having moved from her home in Rhode Island to the state of Texas just two weeks before the start of the 2023 academic school year.
The road from Rhode Island
English teacher wins 2024 First Year Teacher of the Year
Ada Arya, Reporter • Apr 27, 2024
Junior Elyse Chiou and sophomore Miranda Wang prepare a plate of Pepperonis vegan pasta for sophomore Sydney Nguyen. The club assembled an array of vegan foods for the celebration.
Students celebrate with sustainability at Earth Day party
Avey Gannaway, Sports Editor • Apr 27, 2024
Bellaire

• 6 PM
    87 °
  • 7 PM
    84 °
  • 8 PM
    82 °
  • 9 PM
    80 °
  • 10 PM
    79 °
  • 11 PM
    78 °
  • 12 AM
    77 °
  • 1 AM
    77 °
  • 2 AM
    77 °
  • 3 AM
    77 °
  • 4 AM
    77 °
  • 5 AM
    76 °
  • 6 AM
    76 °
  • 7 AM
    77 °
  • 8 AM
    77 °
  • 9 AM
    79 °
  • 10 AM
    80 °
  • 11 AM
    82 °
  • 12 PM
    85 °
  • 1 PM
    88 °
  • 2 PM
    90 °
  • 3 PM
    91 °
  • 4 PM
    91 °
  • 5 PM
    90 °
  • 6 PM
    88 °
May 8
92°/ 76°
Overcast
May 9
92°/ 76°
Thundery outbreaks in nearby
May 10
90°/ 76°
Cloudy

Blessed by Blessington

WRITE Club invites teacher for author chat
Shyla Jogi
Junior Angel Harper listens as Blessington discusses her writing process for each of her books. Blessington has written seven books and is working on an eighth, “The Faculty Lounge,” her first adult novel.

WRITE Club hosted its second author chat on Friday Dec. 8 during Cardinal Hour with AP Language and Creative Writing teacher Jennifer Blessington, who recently released her newest book, “Down Came the Rain.”
Quite a few of the author chat’s attendees were Blessington’s students who enjoyed the opportunity to see their teacher in a new light. WRITE Club’s event coordinator and junior Claire Bradford said that was one of the aspects of the author chat that most stood out to her.
“It was very nice just hearing her talk and just seeing her light up when talking about writing, especially because she’s my English teacher,” Bradford said. “It’s really great to see your English teacher talk about writing when you’re [also] very passionate about writing and I think the club members were also very engaged.”
Blessington kicked off the author chat with a quick summary of her previous six books in release order. She discussed her writing process for each book and how she became an established writer.
“[She] started from the beginning and talked a little bit about her childhood [and] how she got into writing,” Bradford said. “She went on to talk about her books and she gave a brief rundown of each one, which was super interesting. I loved that [and] I’m going to read all of them.”
WRITE Club Vice President and sophomore David Fang appreciated getting more in-depth details about Blessington’s writing, editing and publishing process
“I definitely learned a lot about the writing process and about how Mrs. Blessington has used her experiences from her childhood and adolescence to shape her writing,” Fang said. “That was definitely very motivational for me because I’ve been trying to get back into writing. And it’s great to see how I can use life as an inspiration for my writing.”

Six of Blessington’s seven books are shown on the slide here. The book missing is “Bad Girls Never Say Die,” a feminist reimagining of S. E. Hinton’s “The Outsiders.” (Shyla Jogi)

Blessington went in-depth on how she researched her historical fiction book “Bad Girls Never Say Die” and talked about her early forays in the writing world in the form of contest submissions and journal entries, emphasizing the importance of being able to write for yourself first and others second. WRITE Club member and junior Ellen Yin said the author chat gave her valuable information and takeaways about how to improve her writing process.
“I learned that Mrs. Blessington wrote [many] more books than I thought,” Yin said. “I was also reminded that writing has to come from the heart and that it shouldn’t pander to readers more than it does yourself. It was very helpful in so many ways and made me think about how I could improve my own writing. I loved the introductions and summaries of the books. I definitely have more things on my to-read list now.”
Bradford encourages students to try out author talks and take advantage of the opportunity to “sit down with an author who wrote a real book, got it published and is now talking to students for free about their writing process.”
To keep up with WRITE Club, which meets in Room 1704, follow @bellaire_write_club or join its Remind @bhswrite22.