Football & Volleyball Update

Varsity football began district play on Sep. 27, defeating Sam Houston High School 63-7, and the Varsity volleyball team began its season winning 3-0 against Westside, on Sep. 25.

What may separate the Bellaire varsity teams from other teams is camaraderie. Junior John Gregg shares his thoughts about placing the team above any individual.

“There is so much more of a bond here at Bellaire,” said Greg. “For all of us on the team, we stick up for each other, no matter what. We always have each other’s backs and we always help each other.”

Sophomore Katie Fairbanks, one of two underclassmen playing varsity volleyball, also relates to such team harmony.

“I really like our team, the way we get along,” Fairbanks said. “We communicate well, and that helps us out a lot on the courts during game time.”
The Cardinal football team recently came away with a win by a margin of 56, setting just the right tone with their season. Varsity football coach Trey Sissom provides his insight on the Sam Houston game.”Well, as part of the coaching staff, we’re always looking for improvement, things we can work on,” said Sissom. “[Thursday] night was a great game for us, and everything was going our way. Offensively, we were great. We had a great improvement with our special teams unit, something we really were looking for. Defensively, we gave up that one touchdown catch, and that’s something we can improve. We’re always looking to improve.”

After winning 63-7, the Cardinal football team still hopes to improve. Sissom describes what it means to begin the season with such a strong performance.

“You know, you always want a great first district game, and that’s what we went out and did,” Sissom said. “If we went in there and stubbed our toes, we wouldn’t have been as satisfied as we are. We want to translate improvement into wins.”