Art Teacher, Tim Glover

Kirkland Schuessler

When driving through the roundabout on Washington Avenue, the public is approached by stainless steel, illuminated sculptures reminiscent of tree branches. Tim Glover is the mind behind the artwork shown at the roundabout on Washington and Wescott. Glover, a new teacher at Bellaire, is not your typical art teacher. He is not only known for his artistic talents inside of Bellaire High School, but outside the school as well. Glover, originally from Cleveland, Ohio, is famous for his displayed sculptures and artwork throughout Houston. The journey of creating the public masterpiece began almost a decade ago.

“That project started in 2003,” Glover said. “I was elected from a pool of artists from a select group of candidates. The committee looked at the three different proposals. They voted on it, and mine won the commission.”

For Tim Glover, being chosen to have his artwork shown is not only a proud moment, but also a treasure that will remain with him for the rest of his life. Glover’s sculptures at Washington further contribute to his art that will have a lasting impression on the public.

“It’s a permanent piece of public art and as long as its being cared for, I know it will be there for a long time,” Glover said. “You get to leave your mark on society for years to come and hopefully people will continue to enjoy it.”