Grammys recap: Swift, Musgraves announce new albums

Graphic by Helen Beebe
Singer Miley Cyrus performs her song “Flowers” after winning her first Grammy award in 2024.

Shockingly bold, Miley Cyrus performed in a metallic dress, making a statement of her independence that matches the message of her song, “Flowers.” Cyrus performed for the Grammys alongside Billie Eilish, Olivia Rodrigo, Dua Lipa, SZA, U2 and more.

The Grammy Awards is a ceremony that recognizes artists with music awards in 94 categories. On Feb. 4, 2024, the Grammys drew in 16.9 million viewers, more than previous years.

Taylor Swift:
In her acceptance speech for Best Pop Vocal Album for 2022’s “Midnights,” Taylor Swift thanked her fans by announcing her new album that has been in the works for the past two years: “The Tortured Poets Department.” This announcement was surprising, especially because many hints and Easter eggs that Swift has dropped recently have hinted at a re-release of “Reputation,” a 2017 release that was Swift’s last record under Big Machine Records. These hints pertaining to “Reputation (Taylor’s Version)” include wearing black and white, the color scheme of “Reputation” when it was first released and having her recent posts on Instagram follow that gray theme.

Now, she owns full rights to any new music she makes, meaning that she only has two albums left to re-record under “(Taylor’s Version),” an addition to the title of any album she owns rights to. “Reputation” and her self-titled first album “Taylor Swift” are the only albums Swift has yet to reclaim. We think that this album will be feminine and powerful. Swift announced that this album has been in the works for the past two years, since the release of “Midnights.” This causes us to speculate that it could be a breakup album of her relationship with Joe Alwyn and also her and her fling with Matt Healy. Additionally, it is rumored that Alwyn had a groupchat with Andrew Scott called the “Tortured Man Club,” so the album may be alluding to that. According to Swift’s Instagram, “The Tortured Poets Department” will be released on April 19.

We categorized eight celebrities’ outfits from the Grammys as being either adorable or deplorable. (Graphic by Kate Steinbach and Sarah Nitsun)

Kacey Musgraves:
Zach Bryan performed “I Remember Everything,” winner of Best Country Duo/Group Performance, featuring Kacey Musgraves. That same night, Musgraves played a promotional teaser video for her new album that had been hinted at the day prior with cryptic Instagram posts. Based on the teaser and photos released, shot on a cliff in Iceland, the themes of this album look to be personal and introspective, while carrying mystery and hints of magical powers. On Feb. 7, Musgraves released “Deeper Well,” one of 14 songs and the title track of the album that will be released on Mar. 15.

Miley Cyrus:
Miley Cyrus won Record of the Year and Best Pop Performance of the Year. After 18 years in the industry, Sunday Night’s win was surprisingly her first Grammy. In her performance of her single, “Flowers,” Cyrus changed a lyric in her song to “Started to cry, then remembered I just won my first Grammy.” We’ve been watching Cyrus since her Hannah Montana days and can confirm that the night was definitely a highlight in her career as she reenters the music industry with a bang, winning her first two Grammys in one night.

SZA:
Although SZA did not win Album of the Year, losing to Swift, she did win R&B Song of the Year for “Snooze” and her song “SOS” won her the Urban Contemporary Album. She also won Best Pop Duo with Phoebe Bridgers for her song “Ghost in the Machine.” She had a total of nine nominations, the most artist held that night. We absolutely love SZA’s album “SOS” and have had it on repeat since its release in December of 2022 and while we are big Swifties, we think SOS was more eligible for this award.

Billie Eilish:
Billie Eilish and her brother Finneas won Song of the Year with their song “What Was I Made For?” This song was featured in Barbie and was a hit as it captured the most transformational moment in the movie when Barbie realizes that materialistic things have little value. We thought that this song was a perfect representation of what it feels like to be on a journey of self-discovery, and it captured the agony of misunderstanding your own emotions.