Bellaire Belles Dance in HISD Competition

Holly Sutherland
Sophmore Megan Suchart performs her solo for the judges at the Marching Auxiliaries competition.

Congratulations to the Bellaire Belles Dance Team on their winning the Super Sweepstakes in the HISD Dance Competition on Jan. 26.  Junior Hannah Davis won third runner up in solos, and also highest points in Varsity Jazz and Kick Routines.  The Belles also won highest points in JV Hip Hop Routine.  All of these awards did not come without hard work.  Senior Kristen Schulze, colonel of the team, describes their efforts.

“We started learning our dances in November,” Schulze said.  “At one point, about two weeks before the competition, officers were staying at practice until 7:00 P.M. to clean each dance and make sure each was uniform, with the moves executed correctly.  The day of the competition we were basically dancing from 7:00 A.M. to 9:30 P.M.  It takes a lot of work, but the rewarding results make it worth it.”

The Belles will be competing in the upcoming regional competition as well as nationals in Hawaii.  Senior Lindsey McCaleb, social officer and also varsity dancer, comments on her high hopes for those results.

“I think we will do even better at regionals and nationals because we have time before these competitions, and will use the time to continue to work hard and perfect the dances,” McCaleb said.