Thursday Night Football Game Recap: Offense dominates in 40-12 triumph over Furr Brahmans

The Bellaire bird keepers celebrated the Cardinal 40-12 victory. Photo by Rabika Rehman

The Cardinals’ offensive success continued on Thursday night with a 40-12 win over the Furr High School Brahmans

Senior Justin Grisby sparked the momentum when he returned a kick-off in the first quarter for 98 yards to take the lead. He would finish the night with 135 returning yards.

Sophomore wide receiver Courtney Lark led the explosive offense with three receptions, 75 receiving yards and a touchdown. The running game, however, did most of the heavy lifting with the help of senior running back Reshard Waddell’s 94 rushing yards in just eight carries. Junior Xzaviar Campbell added to the ground success with 64 rushing yards of his own and two touchdowns.

Junior quarterback Trevon Smith contributed to the effort as well with 91 passing yards on the night and a pair of touchdowns.

The offensive triumph came early as the Cardinals led the game 35-0 at the half.

The defense shut down the Brahmans offense for the majority of the night with the exception of two touchdowns in the third and fourth quarter. Senior defensive lineman Randall Pipkin came away with a big sack and two tackles.

The special teams picked up where they off last week with strong field position and consistently good kicks. One particular standout was Hector Quintellia’s 60-yard bomb of a kickoff that would lead to a safety.

2-1 Bellaire will take on Port Arthur Memorial at Port Arthur Memorial High School this Friday at 7:00 p.m.