Friday Night Football Game Recap: Cardinals battle through rain to defeat Port Arthur Memorial in 45-42 barn burner

Courtesy of Debra Campbell

Pouring rain. Blown leads. Comebacks. Victory in the final seconds.

A dramatic win fit dramatic weather conditions on Friday night when the Cardinals kept their three-game winning streak alive with a 45-42 triumph over the Port Arthur Memorial Titans.

The Cardinals second away game victory marks Memorial’s first loss at home in five years.

Bellaire’s offense got off to an explosive start, jumping up 17-0 by the beginning of the second quarter. They kept the ball moving, gaining a 31-7 lead over the Titans thanks to two scoring drives under two minutes each, capped by a 16-yard touchdown reception by senior wide receiver Ryheem Malone and a rushing touchdown by junior running back Xzaviar Campbell.

Memorial immediately responded with five minutes left in the half, fighting back with three touchdowns of their own. Suddenly, it was a 31-21 game as both teams jogged off the muddy field at halftime.

Port Arthur handled the relentless rain with more ease than the Cardinals in the second half. They picked up a touchdown in the first two minutes of the third quarter, and Bellaire answered with a passing touchdown of their own to Malone. The Cardinals would not score again until the fourth quarter.

Memorial completed its comeback, taking the lead 42-35 by the fourth quarter. The Cardinals then marched 83 yards down the field in five plays and finished the drive with another fade route in the end zone to Malone from six yards out. The Cardinals had their lead back 45-42.

Keeping with the dramatic theme, the Titans hurried to get the the ball to the Cardinals 41 yard line with 16 seconds left in the fourth quarter. A missed tying field goal on 4th and 9 resulted in a Cardinal victory.

Malone won offensive player of the game with three receiving touchdowns, a rushing touchdown and 141 total yards. His quarterback, junior Trevon Smith, also came up big with a rushing touchdown and 272 total yards (155 passing and 117 rushing). The equally strong running game was anchored by Campbell (102 yards) and senior Reshard Wadell (125 yards).

Though the night was an offensive battle, senior Brelynd Goods led the defensive effort with seven tackles and two sacks.

The 3-1 Cardinals will take on Sam Houston at Delmar Stadium this Thursday at 7:00 p.m.