Friday Night Football Game Recap: Cardinals keep winning streak alive in 82-20 blowout against Sam Houston

Photo by Hannah Tang

Like the Texans this week, the Cardinals Varsity squad did not score in the second half against Sam Houston on Friday night.

Unlike the Texans, the Cardinals scored 82 points in the first half.

Bellaire destroyed the competition at Delmar Stadium on Sept. 2, defeating the Tigers 82-20 in a flawless victory, dominating in all facets of the game.

The offense was unstoppable, scoring on nearly every drive in the first half. Eight passes and 28 carries combined for a commanding 535 total yards on offense. A 40-point first quarter and 42-point second quarter allowed for ten offensive touchdowns between seven players. Junior running back Xzaviar Campbell led the effort with three rushing touchdowns, followed closely by senior running back Reshard Waddel, who had two of his own.  Sophomore running back Tavion Palmer also carried the ball in the end zone once, and senior Jeff Ejekam ran 26 yards for a touchdown.

Eight different players got touches that night, rushing for 251 total yards with an average of nine yards per carry as a group.

The outstanding running game opened up opportunity for the receivers. Junior quarterback Trevon Smith threw for 120 yards and found senior wide receivers Lorenzo Gould, Ryheem Malone and sophomore receiver Courtney Lark in the end zone. Lark headed the group with 61 receiving yards including a 34 yard reception. Four total receivers averaged 22 yards per reception.

Sophomore quarterback Jalin Bolden-Scott also hit the field for one 20 yard touchdown pass to Gould.

Defense and special teams contributed to the outstanding effort as well. Senior defensive back Tre’von Smith scored a touchdown on a fumble recovery, led the team with five tackles and blocked a field goal. There were five takeaways total, carried heavily by senior Shellie Addams’ three fumble recoveries. Justin Grisby balanced both sides of the game with a 41-yard punt return for a touchdown and a monstrous 51-yard interception, while senior Jaylon Stiner had an interception of his own.

Seniors linebackers Brelynd Goods, I’jrian Stevens, Randall Pipkin, and Addams each came away with a sack.

The 4-1 Cardinals will look to keep their four-game winning streak alive when they take on Madison next week at Butler Stadium at 7:00 p.m. on Friday.