Saturday Football Playoff Game Recap: Cinco Ranch sneaks by Cardinals in 50-43 shootout, caps remarkable season

The Cardinals fought to the very end in the offensive battle and put up an impressive showing against Cinco Ranch. Joe Mabry

The Cardinals 2013 season has come to an end.

But the 8-3 squad did not go down without putting up one incredible fight.

The Cinco Ranch Cougars barely thwarted the Cardinals in the 50-43 shootout on Nov. 16 at Barnett Stadium, earning them a spot in the area round of the Class 5A Division I High School Football Championship Tournament.

The Cardinals offense made an astonishing showing, producing 100 more yards on total offense than the playoff-familiar Cougars. Senior wide receiver Ryheem Malone capped off a phenomenal season with a dominating performance, catching for 256 yards in 11 receptions and scoring four touchdowns.

Junior quarterback Trevon Smith was in full control of his powerful offense, completing 15 passes for 309 yards. He also found the end zone on his feet twice.

The running game did its part as well, with Junior Xzaviar Campbell and Smith each rushing for over 100 yards.

football 2
Junior quarterback Trevon Smith finished his season with an outstanding 63% completion percentage and 126 passer rating. Joe Mabry

The offensive battle brought the ball up and down the field in a game akin to a tennis match. Bellaire had 621 yards on offense and 22 first downs over Cinco Ranch’s 21. The Cougars found the end zone first, but was soon answered by Bellaire with Smith connecting to Malone in the end zone for 29 yards.

A relentless Cinco Ranch offense came right back on the next drive with a rushing touchdown to take the lead, but the Cardinals fought back on the following possession with a rushing touchdown of their own. A pattern began to develop as the Cougars found the end zone in the subsequent drive on the ground, and Bellaire refused to back down, immediately answering with another rushing touchdown by Trevon Smith. Senior wide receiver Jeff Ejekam stepped in for a surprising wildcat play that found senior tight end Jacob Thompson in the end zone for a two-point conversion to take the lead 22-21.

The defense capitalized on the shift in momentum, finally breaking the pattern by forcing a Cougar three and out. The Smith-Malone duo struck again with a 52-yard touch down reception to extend the lead 29-21.

With 2:22 left to go in the half, the Cougars responded with a rushing touchdown and completed their own 2-point conversion to tie the nail-biter 29-29.

Football 1
Senior wide reciever Ryheem Malone powered by defenders to finish the day with 202 receiving yards and four touchdowns. Joe Mabry

The third quarter started off a little slow, but soon looked very reminiscent of the first half. Cinco Ranch scored first to go up 36-29, but the Cardinals countered with another Smith-Malone touchdown. The Cougars ran across the goal line to take the lead, but Bellaire shook up the Cougar defense with another wild cat play as Malone took the snap and found the goal line in the beginning of the fourth quarter.

The Class 5A Division I bi-district playoff was tied 43-43.

Cinco Ranch carried the ball down the field and into the end zone to take the lead 50-43 with 2:41 left in the game. The Cardinals fought toward the end zone as time ticked down. Even after an extraordinary leaping grab by Ejekam, Bellaire faced 4th and 13 after Smith was sacked two times. During Smith’s final attempt to find Malone, the Cougars snagged the ball for an interception with 1:27 to go, ending the game 50-43.

jeff catch
Senior wide receiver Jeff Ejekam had an astonishing leaping grab at the end of the game. Joe Mabry

The Cardinals made a remarkable appearance against the Cougars who have advanced to the second round for six years in a row. Their 8-3 record is the best they’ve had in over a decade. Smith finished his junior year with 22 touchdowns and averaged 159 yards per game, completing 63% of his passes, earning him a 126 QB rating. Malone completed the year with 925 receiving yards and 15 touchdowns. Campbell finished the year with over 1,000 rushing yards and 12 touchdowns. Senior linebacker Brelynd Goods led with nine sacks, and junior defensive lineman Julio Lozano had 11 tackles for loss.

Congratulations to the Bellaire Cardinals and coach Trey Sissom on an outstanding season!