Hindi Speaker Wins Scholarship for an “Experience of a Lifetime”

Nico Aldape, Centerpiece Editor

As part of the National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y) senior Kaelin Smith won a scholarship to study abroad in India. NSLI-Y is a foreign language study initiative put in place by President Bush and coordinated by the U.S State, Defense, and Education departments. Smith detailed the application process that won her this opportunity.

“I had to write a couple essays,” Smith said. “I had to undergo a background check, and my grades were checked as well.”

Smith’s four years in Hindi have already immersed her in the culture and language, and she has thoroughly enjoyed her time in the class.

“I wanted to take it [Hindi] because my middle school had different languages to choose from,” Smith said. “But Hindi was never a language that I got to try. I decided to take Hindi my freshman year, and I ended up staying in it for four years because I liked it.”

Now after studying Hindi for four years, Smith felt ready and excited for study abroad. She will be in the city of Pune, which is ninety-two miles away from Mumbai in the western part of India. Smith highlighted what she had to look forward to while there.

“I’m excited to try the food as I’ve never really tried Indian food before.” Smith said. “I want to see the city, because I know it’s nothing like Houston.”

While Smith said the experience might be out of her comfort zone, she felt it would be the experience of a lifetime.