Sign Language Club member says ‘learning language is a journey’

Lia+Hatvany+communicates+Wear+a+mask+in+American+sign+language.+

Photos provided by Lia Hatvany

Lia Hatvany communicates “Wear a mask” in American sign language.

Maria G. Perez, Reporter

I recently had the pleasure of talking to American Sign Language club member Lia Hatvany.

What made you join the ASL club?

I joined the ASL club so that I could be a part of the community to grow stronger with the language, as well as be a part of people who share the same culture as I do.

How long have you been in the ASL club? How has your experience been?

This is my second year being in the ASL club with Bellaire High School, but I’ve been learning ASL my whole life.

What is your favorite part of ASL?

What I love about the club is that there’s a good percentage of people who want to take the time to learn a culture other than what they know.

What does the ASL club mean to you?

The ASL club means a lot. I think that it’s great that even people who aren’t hard of hearing or deaf, like myself, are curious and eager to learn about the language as well as the culture so that they can be involved with the ASL community.

What ASL signs have you learned? Which one is your favorite?

Recently, we have learned a couple of signs that form into sentences such as to go, brother, sister and family. I enjoy all of them.

What words would you use to describe the club?

Some words I would use to describe the ASL Club are eager, attentive and interactive.

What are you most excited about learning?

I’m most excited about learning and being able to communicate and grow with like-minded people. Of the people I know, not many understand ASL. So, it is really nice to be with people who do.

What type of events would you like to see from this club?

I think going to events that are based around ASL or the deaf and hard of hearing community would be a lot of fun. Just to get a first-hand experience of it all.

How would you describe the process of learning ASL to people who are interested in learning? Is it hard?

The process of learning ASL is a journey. You have to be willing to learn something completely new. This isn’t just basic English or Spanish. This is a whole different culture, language and aspect. Yeah, there are curves and bumps, but if you surround yourself with people who know ASL or are eager to learn, it becomes easier. It honestly depends on your attitude and work ethic. 

What do you hope to accomplish by the end of the year?

I hope to accomplish being able to carry on a good conversation with ASL.