From China to Bellaire, senior adjusts to changes

Provided by Yuqian Wei
Wei and her mother practice the route she would take to school. Taken on Aug. 28, 2023, the day before Wei attended classes.

Going through a full day of school in a language that wasn’t her first was only one of the many challenges senior Yuqian Wei has overcome.

Wei moved to Texas from the Shanxi province in China at the end of August and started school after classes had already begun. On top of having to catch up on work, she had to navigate a foreign school, new social interactions and unfamiliar routines.

“I was sad at first, not having any friends here, in a totally new environment,” Wei said. “I just [felt] really lonely because I never felt this before. I always have [had] friends around me.”

Wei has realized that the best way to improve her English is to simply practice and engage in everyday discussions. Though she was confident in understanding English when she first arrived, Wei emphasizes her insecurities in speaking.

“When I first arrived here, I [felt] scared to talk to people,” Wei said. “[I was] afraid that what I [said people couldn’t] understand. You know, sometimes when we talk, we can’t really hear our accent. Like, I don’t know if I do have a weird accent or not. I’m not afraid of making mistakes anymore. I just tell myself, if I keep being afraid, I’m not going to improve.”

Wei celebrated Teacher’s Day on Sept. 10, 2021. Wei and her class brought flowers to their teachers. (Photo provided by Yuqian Wei)

Wei’s mother has been an inspiration for her to be more outgoing. She described how her mom is comfortable going up and talking to strangers. Her mom would search for activities for them to do, and it led to experiences Wei wouldn’t have found in China.

“We just went to [a] church near our apartment,” Wei said. “And I found that really interesting, like cultural things [that were] different from what I learned in China before. We [went to a] gathering on Christmas Eve, and this is the very first Christmas I found meaningful.”

In leaving China, Wei also left everybody she knew. She came to Houston with only her mom, who is studying Rhetoric Composition at the University of Houston.
“Our move from China to Houston [was] a turning point of our lives,” Wei’s mom, Weixiao Wei, said. “This [was] a real rebirth. Everything starts from square one: advancing language, [getting a] driver license, etc. We really appreciated the growth during this process. One thing [that] merits mentioning here is that many people we met so far in America are super nice. What they have done for us is impressive.”
Though she is a senior, Wei is enrolled in AP US History, because it was not a course offered at her school in China. Her APUSH teacher, Patricia Edaburn, has observed her strong work ethic.
“Yuqian is a very dedicated and hardworking young woman,” Edaburn said. “She is very quiet but is absolutely determined to do her best. She completes every task on time and in spite of her challenges with a new country, a new school and a new language, she has overcome these obstacles and been successful.”

According to Edaburn, not only has Wei made an impression on how she completes the coursework itself, but she has shown strong attitude and character.

“She is always smiling, always cooperative and always willing to do what she needs to do,” Edaburn said. “Yuqian has responded to these challenges with grace and success.”

Wei at a sports meet for her high school. A friend took this photo of Wei on Sept. 29, 2021. (Provided by Yuqian Wei)

One thing Wei has enjoyed at Bellaire is the presence of many clubs to choose from. She has also noticed a contrast between her previous schools and the large amount of electives and freedom she has over her schedule.

“[The different clubs and courses are] really fun for me, and it kind of [allows] people to develop in many ways,” Wei said. “So I think it’s better than the schools I attended before.”

Throughout her time in school, Wei has felt pressure to perform well academically, both in China and America. She came to America for better higher education opportunities, and she will be attending the University of Houston for Media Production next year.

“Especially for me, [an] international student, I have to score higher because my competitors score higher,” Wei said. “And [because] my parents want me to attend some really advanced universities. So it’s kind of overwhelming, but things [are] getting better now.”

Through her move to America, Wei has learned the lesson of persevering and being content with the result.

“I try my best,” Wei said. “So whatever the result is, I accept it and learn from it.”

View Comments (2)