Science teacher wins award for excellence in teaching

AP Biology teacher Anna Loonam wins a cash prize that will be toward technology for her students. Joe Mabry

Krishna Sigireddi, Writer

On Nov. 5, AP Biology teacher Anna Loonam was recognized for receiving the 2nd place Texas Medical Association Ernest and Sarah Butler Award for Excellence in Science Teaching.

Requirements for the award included a Texas state-certificate for full-time public and private school science teachers with at least two years of classroom experience. Teachers must be returning to teach in a Texas classroom during the 2014-2015 school year.

“It was a great honor receiving the award since it was out of all the science teachers nominated for the award in the whole state of Texas.”As a second place nominee, Loonam received a cash reward. Loonam intends on putting the money towards technology for her AP Biology students. She hopes to purchase new technology for lab equipment. The award was a big honor out of the whole state of Texas. Loonam has been a teacher for thirty three years. Five of the thirty three years Loonam  spent as a Physical Education teacher.

Loonam was presented the award on Dec. 11. She welcomed her students to join her in the presentation of the award. A small celebration was held after with her students.