French Artists Commemorate a Work of Art

Painting made by French Students based on 1998 World Cup

Nathan Hiransomboon, Online Editor-in-Chief

2014 marks the year that the most famous soccer tournament, The World Cup, takes place. With the tournament taking place every four years, where just about every nation in the world is taking part to be the world’s best soccer team, countries all around the world are getting ready. Countries in South America and Europe are getting pumped. Particularly at Bellaire, French students took place in an art contest called “Dis-moi dix motis”  and made an audio-photo and painting to commemorate France’s victory of The World Cup in 1998.

Senior Katherine Banks explains what students did for the art project.

“We made a painting to represent a new word in the French dictionary. It’s called ‘Ouf’ which means ‘crazy’. The painting was about the 1998 FIFA World Cup win for the French soccer team “Les Blues”. It was a huge deal because the win was so amazing if you watch the game, and so the painting represents a huge amount of French national pride over something amazing and crazy.”

Students each had different roles in what to do while making the painting. Banks continues in explaining her personal role.

“I personally was a part of painting on the intricate design of a champagne bottle label that represented the famous French champagne Veuve Clicquo

French students worked hard and had fun in making a painting that commemorates the national pride of France while also working to celebrate the upcoming World Cup and a French victory!