Parents preview an average school day at annual Open House

History+teacher+Patricia+Edaburn+leads+class+discussion.+

History teacher Patricia Edaburn leads class discussion.

James Fang, Centerpiece Editor

The faculty gathered for Bellaire’s annual Open House on Sept. 11. Open House offered parents an opportunity to evaluate their child’s classes and meet their teachers. Teachers were expected to give a run-down of their curriculum and classroom structure. AP US History teachers Patricia Edaburn and Lori Good prepared for the evening by writing a letter that would be handed out to parents.

“Since we only had a tiny window of time to discuss our class, most of what we wanted to get across was done through the letter,” Edaburn said.

The schedule for Open House was compressed. Due to the size of the school, many parents found it difficult to get to each class in the tight time intervals. Many of the clubs and organizations had students posted in the hallways all over school to guide lost parents to their next classrooms. Parents returning as alumni enjoyed coming back to their high school roots.

“My son came from a small school and took a while to transition to such a school as this, and this brought back memories from when I was in his position,” a parent said.

Parents also came to better understand the classes that their children would be taking for the rest of the year. Junior Jennifer Lee urged her parents to go, giving them a glimpse into her school life.

“Having parents play a role in your education is very beneficial since you get a ton of support from them,” Lee said. “Attending my classes allowed them to get a better feel of the teachers and faculty here.”