Burgjohann was awarded First Year Teacher of the Year, having moved from her home in Rhode Island to the state of Texas just two weeks before the start of the 2023 academic school year.
The road from Rhode Island
English teacher wins 2024 First Year Teacher of the Year
Ada Arya, Reporter • Apr 27, 2024
Junior Elyse Chiou and sophomore Miranda Wang prepare a plate of Pepperonis vegan pasta for sophomore Sydney Nguyen. The club assembled an array of vegan foods for the celebration.
Students celebrate with sustainability at Earth Day party
Avey Gannaway, Sports Editor • Apr 27, 2024
The jazz band performs on the front patio of Lankfords Bellaire. The band mainly performed bebop songs with some bossa nova and blues sprinkled in.
Bossa nova, bebop and burgers
Jazz band performs for local diners
Alexander Tang, Reporter • Apr 16, 2024
Burnside explains a topic in Algebra 2. Her goal is her teaching will make math seem doable and fun.
Someone to count on
Math teacher wins third Teacher of the Year award
Grace Turney, Entertainment Editor • Apr 14, 2024
The next solar eclipse visible in the US will occur in 2033 in Alaska. At least I’ll be alive in 40 years to see the next [eclipse],” junior Eric Stevenson said.
Students, faculty view solar eclipse in cloudy weather
Clarissa Li and Emma XiaoApr 12, 2024
Bellaire

• 9 AM
    77 °
  • 10 AM
    80 °
  • 11 AM
    83 °
  • 12 PM
    84 °
  • 1 PM
    85 °
  • 2 PM
    85 °
  • 3 PM
    84 °
  • 4 PM
    83 °
  • 5 PM
    82 °
  • 6 PM
    80 °
  • 7 PM
    77 °
  • 8 PM
    76 °
  • 9 PM
    75 °
  • 10 PM
    75 °
  • 11 PM
    74 °
  • 12 AM
    74 °
  • 1 AM
    74 °
  • 2 AM
    74 °
  • 3 AM
    74 °
  • 4 AM
    74 °
  • 5 AM
    74 °
  • 6 AM
    74 °
  • 7 AM
    75 °
  • 8 AM
    76 °
  • 9 AM
    78 °
May 1
85°/ 70°
Moderate rain
May 2
87°/ 73°
Patchy rain nearby
May 3
85°/ 73°
Patchy rain nearby

Rooftop Garden Club raises $300

Nicholas Velasquez
Seniors and vice presidents Kelly Garza and Ashlee Nunez advertise Rooftop Garden’s car wash to nearby drivers. The club raised $300 from this fundraiser.

The Rooftop Garden Club raised $300 for a new sprinkler system from its car wash fundraiser Sept. 23.

Over the summer, the club’s old sprinkler system shut down, and the garden’s plants died due to the record-breaking heat. After club sponsor and aquatic science teacher Stephanie Clayton told officers they lacked funds for new sprinklers, they decided to organize a fundraiser.

“The best part about this morning was talking with members [and fellow officers] and getting a little soaked since it’s still pretty hot,” co-president and senior Nicholas Velasquez said.

The club partnered with St. Philip’s United Methodist Church to host the fundraiser and implemented a donation system, where customers paid anywhere from $5-$45.

Senior Eva Bokhari, who is also vice president and historian, said the biggest challenge in the beginning was getting volunteers aside from officers to come out. Bokhari’s friends and seniors Henry Aung and Joe Beasley decided to help volunteer after she called them about the car wash.

As for cleaning supplies, Bokhari said officers and members all pitched in to bring sponges, scrubs, buckets and soap, among other cleaning tools.

“I’m just so amazed by what we were able to accomplish in three hours,” Bokhari said. “I love how much we were able to come together for our club.”

According to Bokhari, the club had the most business around 10 a.m.

“Once we got people out on the corner advertising, we got a lot of customers,” Bokhari said. “This [fundraiser] was absolutely worth it, [we made] like $100 an hour.”

Junior Melissa Tao from Michael E. DeBakey High School for Health Professions came to support her friend, senior and vice president Kelly Garza.

“I was supposed to wash my own car, but this is a better way,” Tao said. “This supports a good cause, so [it’s] two birds with one stone. My car looks really good, squeaky clean.”

Rooftop Garden Club meets every Friday during Cardinal Hour. Join the club’s Remind @rooftop23, and follow them on Instagram @rooftopgardenclub to get involved.