NHS co-advisor Jennifer Kuhleman recognizes NHS scholarship semi-finalists seniors Katelyn Ta,  Aaditya Krishna and Akshay Kapur (left to right). All three of the seniors demonstrated the four pillars of NHS during their time at Bellaire.
National Honor Society welcomes new inductees
Grace Turney and Claire BradfordMay 1, 2024
Burgjohann was awarded First Year Teacher of the Year, having moved from her home in Rhode Island to the state of Texas just two weeks before the start of the 2023 academic school year.
The road from Rhode Island
English teacher wins 2024 First Year Teacher of the Year
Ada Arya, Reporter • Apr 27, 2024
Junior Elyse Chiou and sophomore Miranda Wang prepare a plate of Pepperonis vegan pasta for sophomore Sydney Nguyen. The club assembled an array of vegan foods for the celebration.
Students celebrate with sustainability at Earth Day party
Avey Gannaway, Sports Editor • Apr 27, 2024
The jazz band performs on the front patio of Lankfords Bellaire. The band mainly performed bebop songs with some bossa nova and blues sprinkled in.
Bossa nova, bebop and burgers
Jazz band performs for local diners
Alexander Tang, Reporter • Apr 16, 2024
Burnside explains a topic in Algebra 2. Her goal is her teaching will make math seem doable and fun.
Someone to count on
Math teacher wins third Teacher of the Year award
Grace Turney, Entertainment Editor • Apr 14, 2024
Bellaire

• 7 AM
    75 °
  • 8 AM
    76 °
  • 9 AM
    79 °
  • 10 AM
    82 °
  • 11 AM
    84 °
  • 12 PM
    86 °
  • 1 PM
    87 °
  • 2 PM
    88 °
  • 3 PM
    88 °
  • 4 PM
    87 °
  • 5 PM
    86 °
  • 6 PM
    84 °
  • 7 PM
    81 °
  • 8 PM
    79 °
  • 9 PM
    77 °
  • 10 PM
    76 °
  • 11 PM
    76 °
  • 12 AM
    75 °
  • 1 AM
    74 °
  • 2 AM
    73 °
  • 3 AM
    73 °
  • 4 AM
    73 °
  • 5 AM
    72 °
  • 6 AM
    72 °
  • 7 AM
    73 °
May 2
88°/ 74°
Patchy rain nearby
May 3
88°/ 72°
Patchy rain nearby
May 4
89°/ 72°
Partly Cloudy

Clubs, teams volunteer in Condit’s Boo Bash

Photo provided by Emma Tran
Sophomore Preston Lew helps move pumpkins and hay bales to the PTO Parents’ cars after the festival. Preston took photos with his friends at the photo booth area beforehand.

Condit Elementary’s PTO individually contacted clubs and teams like the Belles, Girl’s Soccer, Volleyball and Vietnamese Student Association for help with its Fall Carnival Boo Bash on Oct. 28.

Junior Christine Dimacali represented the Lady Cards at the event.

“Volunteering while representing Bellaire Volleyball was so much fun and put out a good word for us,” Dimacali said. “A mom came up to me and asked me about Bellaire Volleyball for her daughter. It was so nice to encourage this mom to be a part of the future Bellaire Volleyball program.”

The morning shift group from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. helped decorate and set up the booths. Cardboard cutouts of ghosts and pumpkins, posters and colorful paper lined the fence of the park to welcome the students.

“I helped set up tables, balloons, shops and even posters,” Dimacali said. “Anywhere that needed assistance, I was there. It was such a great experience and I would totally do it again.”

The afternoon shift group from 12:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. helped operate the games and activities like obstacle course, pumpkin bounce house and fundraising stands of snacks and toys. The group worked closely with the elementary kids to keep each area safe and organized.

“The one difficulty running the bounce house was kids who wouldn’t get off,” sophomore and member of Acts of Kindness club Ava Erickson said. “There were a few babies that Ellie and I needed to go inside the house and carry out.”

Senior and Belle Chloe Chang volunteered with her mom, who is part of the Condit PTO, and her brothers. Chang went to Condit Elementary and said it felt special to volunteer for a school where all her siblings go to or went to.

“It was nice to volunteer at my old school and get flashbacks to when I went there,” Chang said. “My mom loves to volunteer. I’ve helped at the spirit store for Condit many times and I enjoy it every time.”
The last shift group from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. was the breakdown and clean up crew who helped clean the park and take down the booths and decorations.

“The process of cleaning up after the Condit volunteering just entailed the parents assigning kids to pick up certain props, trash and moving miscellaneous items back to parents’ cars,” sophomore and VSA member Preston Lew said. “A struggle I had while cleaning was moving the hay bales because they had these thin straps that would hurt your hands.”

Sophomore and junior varsity Belle Mariah Clemons volunteered at the event for the full day. Clemons took the opportunity to join VSA to be up to date with future opportunities.
“It was a good experience and I like seeing the smiles on the kids’ faces when they won the game,” Clemons said. “I really like volunteering. I think it’s really fun and a good way to bond with people and have new experiences. I am really excited to sign up for more volunteering in the future.”

View Comments (2)