Junior Aoife McBride, right, stands with two other WRITE Club members holding the books they brought to the swap. McBride views WRITE Club meetings as a fun way to harness [her] creative energy.
Trading titles: Page by Page and WRITE Club collaborate for a book swap
Shyla Jogi, Reporter • Feb 16, 2024
Freshman Skylar Lew tried the milk bubble tea and stayed for the presentation to try the Thai tea. Lew attended past events with her brother sophomore Preston Lew.
VSA Bubble Tea and Viet Event
VSA holds second Bubble Tea and Viet event
Rilina Tran, Business Manager & News Editor • Feb 15, 2024
Member Zachary Barnett experiments with waterproof paper. He pours water onto a paper crane sprayed with varnish.
Prepping a paper crane car: Art Car Club folds a thousand paper cranes into existence
Ashley Park, Copy Editor • Feb 14, 2024
Junior Taylor Robinson connects with teachers and explains to them breakfast options available. Despite the trouble entering the building, Taylor put her gloves on and got to work.
African-American Association carries out savory tradition
Club members serve breakfast to teachers at start of Black History Month
Maddux Horn, Reporter • Feb 14, 2024
The officers pose together in front of their finished presentation. They plan to teach members how to make dishes as well as the fundamental skills.
Cooking up a storm: Culinary Club invites aspiring cooks to interest meeting
Shyla Jogi, Reporter • Feb 14, 2024
Bellaire

• 6 PM
    72 °
  • 7 PM
    70 °
  • 8 PM
    68 °
  • 9 PM
    67 °
  • 10 PM
    66 °
  • 11 PM
    65 °
  • 12 AM
    65 °
  • 1 AM
    64 °
  • 2 AM
    63 °
  • 3 AM
    63 °
  • 4 AM
    62 °
  • 5 AM
    61 °
  • 6 AM
    61 °
  • 7 AM
    60 °
  • 8 AM
    60 °
  • 9 AM
    62 °
  • 10 AM
    65 °
  • 11 AM
    67 °
  • 12 PM
    69 °
  • 1 PM
    71 °
  • 2 PM
    73 °
  • 3 PM
    74 °
  • 4 PM
    74 °
  • 5 PM
    73 °
  • 6 PM
    72 °
February 22
74°/ 62°
Patchy rain nearby
February 23
75°/ 59°
Sunny
February 24
76°/ 57°
Sunny

Clubs, teams volunteer in Condit’s Boo Bash

Photo provided by Emma Tran
Sophomore Preston Lew helps move pumpkins and hay bales to the PTO Parents’ cars after the festival. Preston took photos with his friends at the photo booth area beforehand.

Condit Elementary’s PTO individually contacted clubs and teams like the Belles, Girl’s Soccer, Volleyball and Vietnamese Student Association for help with its Fall Carnival Boo Bash on Oct. 28.

Junior Christine Dimacali represented the Lady Cards at the event.

“Volunteering while representing Bellaire Volleyball was so much fun and put out a good word for us,” Dimacali said. “A mom came up to me and asked me about Bellaire Volleyball for her daughter. It was so nice to encourage this mom to be a part of the future Bellaire Volleyball program.”

The morning shift group from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. helped decorate and set up the booths. Cardboard cutouts of ghosts and pumpkins, posters and colorful paper lined the fence of the park to welcome the students.

“I helped set up tables, balloons, shops and even posters,” Dimacali said. “Anywhere that needed assistance, I was there. It was such a great experience and I would totally do it again.”

The afternoon shift group from 12:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. helped operate the games and activities like obstacle course, pumpkin bounce house and fundraising stands of snacks and toys. The group worked closely with the elementary kids to keep each area safe and organized.

“The one difficulty running the bounce house was kids who wouldn’t get off,” sophomore and member of Acts of Kindness club Ava Erickson said. “There were a few babies that Ellie and I needed to go inside the house and carry out.”

Senior and Belle Chloe Chang volunteered with her mom, who is part of the Condit PTO, and her brothers. Chang went to Condit Elementary and said it felt special to volunteer for a school where all her siblings go to or went to.

“It was nice to volunteer at my old school and get flashbacks to when I went there,” Chang said. “My mom loves to volunteer. I’ve helped at the spirit store for Condit many times and I enjoy it every time.”
The last shift group from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. was the breakdown and clean up crew who helped clean the park and take down the booths and decorations.

“The process of cleaning up after the Condit volunteering just entailed the parents assigning kids to pick up certain props, trash and moving miscellaneous items back to parents’ cars,” sophomore and VSA member Preston Lew said. “A struggle I had while cleaning was moving the hay bales because they had these thin straps that would hurt your hands.”

Sophomore and junior varsity Belle Mariah Clemons volunteered at the event for the full day. Clemons took the opportunity to join VSA to be up to date with future opportunities.
“It was a good experience and I like seeing the smiles on the kids’ faces when they won the game,” Clemons said. “I really like volunteering. I think it’s really fun and a good way to bond with people and have new experiences. I am really excited to sign up for more volunteering in the future.”

View Comments (2)