NHS co-advisor Jennifer Kuhleman recognizes NHS scholarship semi-finalists seniors Katelyn Ta,  Aaditya Krishna and Akshay Kapur (left to right). All three of the seniors demonstrated the four pillars of NHS during their time at Bellaire.
National Honor Society welcomes new inductees
Grace Turney and Claire BradfordMay 1, 2024
Burgjohann was awarded First Year Teacher of the Year, having moved from her home in Rhode Island to the state of Texas just two weeks before the start of the 2023 academic school year.
The road from Rhode Island
English teacher wins 2024 First Year Teacher of the Year
Ada Arya, Reporter • Apr 27, 2024
Junior Elyse Chiou and sophomore Miranda Wang prepare a plate of Pepperonis vegan pasta for sophomore Sydney Nguyen. The club assembled an array of vegan foods for the celebration.
Students celebrate with sustainability at Earth Day party
Avey Gannaway, Sports Editor • Apr 27, 2024
The jazz band performs on the front patio of Lankfords Bellaire. The band mainly performed bebop songs with some bossa nova and blues sprinkled in.
Bossa nova, bebop and burgers
Jazz band performs for local diners
Alexander Tang, Reporter • Apr 16, 2024
Burnside explains a topic in Algebra 2. Her goal is her teaching will make math seem doable and fun.
Someone to count on
Math teacher wins third Teacher of the Year award
Grace Turney, Entertainment Editor • Apr 14, 2024
Bellaire

• 5 AM
    74 °
  • 6 AM
    74 °
  • 7 AM
    75 °
  • 8 AM
    76 °
  • 9 AM
    79 °
  • 10 AM
    82 °
  • 11 AM
    84 °
  • 12 PM
    86 °
  • 1 PM
    87 °
  • 2 PM
    88 °
  • 3 PM
    88 °
  • 4 PM
    87 °
  • 5 PM
    86 °
  • 6 PM
    84 °
  • 7 PM
    81 °
  • 8 PM
    79 °
  • 9 PM
    77 °
  • 10 PM
    76 °
  • 11 PM
    76 °
  • 12 AM
    75 °
  • 1 AM
    74 °
  • 2 AM
    73 °
  • 3 AM
    73 °
  • 4 AM
    73 °
  • 5 AM
    72 °
May 2
88°/ 74°
Patchy rain nearby
May 3
88°/ 72°
Patchy rain nearby
May 4
89°/ 72°
Partly Cloudy

VSA holds its first Fall Feast Luncheon

Students go down the buffet-styled line and get a plate full of traditional foods. About 76 pre-sale tickets were sold and only about 12 could be sold at the door because of the limited amount of food.

Vietnamese Student Association held its first luncheon and sold $3 admission tickets throughout the week for students to get a plate full of traditional Vietnamese dishes.

Students and teachers crowded into Room 2603 to walk through the buffet line of fried rice, eggrolls, dumplings and Vietnamese coffee on Oct. 26. Members volunteered to bring in dishes of their choice to serve and share their favorite foods. Sophomore Dylan Tran chose to bring egg rolls.

“I originally was going to bring spring rolls, but I wasn’t sure if everyone would like everything in it,” Dylan Tran said. “I don’t like lettuce and mint in mine, so I brought egg rolls instead. I told the officers that they should host a spring roll making day so people can wrap whatever they want in the rice paper.”

Sophomores Kevin Yan and Kenny Kwok made six trays of fried rice together with Keith Luo. The fried rice was the most popular dish at the luncheon, getting compliments on having both beef and vegetarian options.

“I found it enjoyable because I really enjoyed cooking and I just think it’s really nice that people enjoy my food,” Kwok said. “We had three people so we could split it [the trays of fried rice] evenly between us so we could store it easier. I think my experience with serving was really nice because I think I’m just a person that’s easy to communicate with and I like to talk to people. I enjoy it because I see people enjoy it. It’s nice to savor.”

Most dishes were dropped off in the morning or at the beginning of lunch, but traditional Vietnamese coffee and Thai tea were made in the backroom. Sophomore Emma Tran and Nina Nguyen brought an electric kettle and other ingredients to make drinks.

“I helped boil water in a kettle with the vice president and measure the instant powder and condensed milk,” Emma Tran said. “I don’t like coffee, but I think if we had milk and sugar it would taste better. Another member brought milk tea later on and it was really good.”

A few challenges were faced when planning for the luncheon. The officers and club sponsor Caroline Vu met the day prior to work out the issues of not having enough food, an oven or ice and how to set up before lunch.

“Although it was stressful because we rescheduled the luncheon due to the busy week of testing and Homecoming, I am glad everything went well in the end,” President and senior Sebastian Nguyen said. “This was our first luncheon and it was a learning experience that we will use to make future events more efficient and organized.”

The luncheon had a show up of about 90 students and raised about $250. The club plans to use the money to arrange future events or donate to organizations that provide help to Vietnam.

“I was actually really surprised by how fast we sold tickets,” Nguyen said. “It got to the point where we had to cap the amount we sold because of the limited amount of food. I realized that in the future we could have more profitable fundraisers because of how many students wanted food.”

VSA meets Wednesdays during the first half of lunch in Room 2603. For more information, join VSA’s Remind @bhsvsa22 or follow their Instagram @bhs_vsa.

View Comments (4)