The jazz band performs on the front patio of Lankfords Bellaire. The band mainly performed bebop songs with some bossa nova and blues sprinkled in.
Bossa nova, bebop and burgers
Jazz band performs for local diners
Alexander Tang, Reporter • Apr 16, 2024
Burnside explains a topic in Algebra 2. Her goal is her teaching will make math seem doable and fun.
Someone to count on
Math teacher wins third Teacher of the Year award
Grace Turney, Entertainment Editor • Apr 14, 2024
The next solar eclipse visible in the US will occur in 2033 in Alaska. At least I’ll be alive in 40 years to see the next [eclipse],” junior Eric Stevenson said.
Students, faculty view solar eclipse in cloudy weather
Clarissa Li and Emma XiaoApr 12, 2024
The majority of Bellaire faculty and the Shared Decision-Making Committee voted for an eight-period schedule for the 2024-25 school year. In addition to eight periods a day, the new schedule also includes the dismissal time moving to 4 p.m., the discontinuation of zero periods and more elective options for students.
Eight a day
Bellaire adopts new eight-period schedule for the 2024-25 school year
Claire Bradford, Head Business Manager & Features Editor • Mar 18, 2024
Congress and public forum students, including sophomore Catherine Xue, Samantha Tran, and junior Emerald Tang (left to right, second, sixth, ninth respectively) commemorate their time at TFA State 2024 with a photo booth. For Tang, this is her last tournament, but Xue and Tran look forward to competing at state next year.
‘Upping our game’
Bellaire Debate emerges strong at TFA State 2024, home to top debate students in the country
Jason Deng, Managing Editor • Mar 14, 2024
Bellaire

• 5 PM
    80 °
  • 6 PM
    78 °
  • 7 PM
    76 °
  • 8 PM
    74 °
  • 9 PM
    72 °
  • 10 PM
    71 °
  • 11 PM
    70 °
  • 12 AM
    69 °
  • 1 AM
    69 °
  • 2 AM
    68 °
  • 3 AM
    68 °
  • 4 AM
    67 °
  • 5 AM
    67 °
  • 6 AM
    68 °
  • 7 AM
    69 °
  • 8 AM
    71 °
  • 9 AM
    74 °
  • 10 AM
    76 °
  • 11 AM
    79 °
  • 12 PM
    81 °
  • 1 PM
    83 °
  • 2 PM
    84 °
  • 3 PM
    84 °
  • 4 PM
    83 °
  • 5 PM
    81 °
April 24
82°/ 66°
Patchy rain nearby
April 25
85°/ 67°
Patchy rain nearby
April 26
82°/ 71°
Patchy rain nearby

VSA holds second Bubble Tea and Viet event

Freshman Skylar Lew tried the milk bubble tea and stayed for the presentation to try the Thai tea. Lew attended past events with her brother sophomore Preston Lew.

About 60 students lined up and were greeted with “Chúc mừng năm mới” (Happy New Year in Vietnamese) at the Vietnamese Student Association Bubble Tea and Viet event. The club sold $3 pre-sale and $5 at-the-door admission tickets throughout the week for students to learn Vietnamese and drink homemade bubble tea on Wednesday, Feb. 7 during Cardinal Hour.
The officers made about four gallons of Thai tea, two gallons of black milk tea and tubs of fresh boba. This is the second time VSA hosted this event and it sold about 50 tickets compared to the 80 last year.
“Last year extra credit was offered to those who attended the event and we had more time to advertise and sell tickets because it was held on a Friday,” senior and president Sebastian Nguyen said. “We also had club photos this year which affected the number of people who could go, but I’m glad that many were still able to enjoy the event.”
Because of the overlap with club photos and the need to prepare cups of bubble tea during 4th period, VSA had members like junior Bruce Stewart help out during the event.
“I truly enjoyed [helping] because I felt like I was with my people working to make delicious boba for everyone,” Stewart said. “VSA is a very positive space for all races, not just Vietnamese, which makes everyone feel welcomed. The drinks were pretty good, but I feel the true prize is the friends we made along the way.”
It was junior Isabella Gee’s first time going to the event with her friend junior Caroline Pettigrew.
“The bubble tea event was lots of fun and I got the Thai tea which tasted really good,” Gee said. “I would definitely come to future VSA events to see my friends and learn more about Vietnamese culture.”
Junior and VSA officer Allyson Nguyen had experience from planning last year’s event and said that although the turnout was less, the bubble tea fundraiser will be held annually.
“I think we will continue to do Bubble Tea and Viet Events in the future because it gets attention from non-VSA club members and is an effective fundraiser for the club,” Allyson Nguyen said. “It’s a fun event to run because almost everybody loves boba. We, as VSA officers, can only try to continue to improve the event and grow the VSA community at Bellaire.”
With the approximately $250 gained from the fundraiser, VSA plans on using it towards its BISA plans, T-shirt making and end-of-the-year social.
“At our next meeting we will probably discuss BISA and officer applications,” Sebastian Nguyen said. “I’m looking forward to BISA because we are planning on selling homemade bánh mì. Hopefully, we will gain more members by then and get a lot of people on board with VSA activities.”
VSA meets on Wednesday during the first half of lunch in Room 2603. For more information, join VSA’s Remind @bhsvsa.