Students, faculty view solar eclipse in cloudy weather

The next solar eclipse visible in the US will occur in 2033 in Alaska. “At least I’ll be alive in 40 years to see the next [eclipse],” junior Eric Stevenson said.

A total solar eclipse occurred on Monday. Under a cloudy sky, over a hundred students, teachers and administrators gathered across the school on the garage roof, the rooftop garden and the courtyard to watch the eclipse during fifth period.

Senior Eric Stevenson said that although clouds “covered a lot of the [eclipse],” the moments they did get to see it were “pretty cool.” He anticipated the eclipse because his astronomy teacher Jimmy Newland had made plans to see the eclipse in totality in Dallas.

“I was pretty excited,” Stevenson said. “I enjoyed hanging out with my friends and looking up at the sky. A lot of people [were] out there, and people even started screaming when [the eclipse] first started coming out because we were all praying that the clouds would part.”

Starting at 1:39 p.m., the eclipse was about three minutes long with a 94% coverage.

“It just looked like a crescent moon,” Stevenson said. “And it’s pretty interesting to see the sun look like a moon.”

NASA advises only looking at the eclipse with proper eye safety, but senior Nathan Cooper accidentally looked at the eclipse while taking photos for his AP Photography class.

“It was really bright, and now I feel kind of dizzy,” Cooper said. “But it’s okay. I’m sure I’ll recover.”

College advisor Jelicia Hunt also accidentally looked straight at a solar eclipse without proper eye safety — at her wedding. Born and married on solar eclipse days, Hunt said the celestial show continues to be “pretty amazing.”

“I don’t know when I’m gonna see it again,” Hunt said. “But you know, there’s a man who’s actually 105 who’s seen his 13th solar eclipse today. So it’s pretty cool. I need to start counting. I think I might make it a little hobby of mine now.”

View Comments (6)