Q&A with committed athletes

Sami+Ferguson+shows+off+the+shirt+she+received+from+Rhodes+College.+

Photos provided by Cami Ferguson

Sami Ferguson shows off the shirt she received from Rhodes College.

Rory Schoech, Reporter

Senior athletes Elijah Costa, Cami Ferguson and Elijah Lawrence have all dedicated their lives to sports. I interviewed them about how they got their start and where their talents have taken them. I was able to learn more about their future plans and the college recruitment process.

Elijah Costa:

What college have you committed to and when did you commit? 

Claremont Mckenna College. I committed on Oct. 7.

What sport will you be playing? 

Football

How long have you been playing your sport?

I started playing in seventh grade because that’s when my middle school started offering it. I stuck with it because I really enjoyed playing football.

This poster announces Costa’s commitment to Claremont McKenna College. (Photo provided by Elijah Costa)

How did your school reach out to you? 

They reached out to me on a zoom call with a few of the coaches on there. They scouted me through my football film from my junior year season.

What were your first thoughts when your school expressed interest in you? 

I was excited about them reaching out, but I didn’t know too much about the school at first. However, I really liked the school after doing research. I really like the coaches there, and it is a great school with a great location.

Was this school always on your radar? 

They weren’t on my radar until this spring. I have never had a dream school.

Did you apply or plan on applying to other schools? 

I hadn’t planned on applying to other schools, assuming that football worked out. The recruiting for the schools that I wasn’t looking at is all done through binding early decision, so I didn’t plan on applying to other schools. 

What do you plan on studying? 

Economics because I liked learning economics and math in high school.

What are you most looking forward to when you start your college journey? 

I’m looking forward to being able to continue playing football while getting a great education. I’m also looking forward to just meeting my new teammates and the new people there.

Cami Ferguson:

Rhodes College. I committed on May 26. It was such an exciting day. My friends brought me a cake, and everyone was crying because all the years had paid off.

What sport will you be playing?

Softball.

14 years. I started in t-ball for boys and girls. I went on to play baseball for a year, then I decided to join the girls’ softball league, where I played until I was seven. Then I got asked if I wanted to travel and play softball for a select team. I fell in love with traveling with my teammates and playing in all parts of Texas, Louisiana and Florida. As I continued to grow up I switched from team to team and finally found one that travels nationwide. I love the adrenaline rush of the game and I crave that feeling. You have to work hard to see those results so I think always being able to become better has kept me going

How did your school reach out to you? 

I went to an honor roll softball camp in Florida (for students with a 3.5 GPA or higher) where they saw me play there. I met and spoke to the scout there, but it was brief because I was actually on the field in a scrimmage. Then he emailed me after we never had time to speak again.

I was super excited about it. I knew I wanted to go to a highly academic school, and Rhodes definitely fit that.

Was this school always on your radar? 

I actually only heard about it from super-intelligent kids going there. I had no idea I could ever go until the scout told me to come for an official visit.

I was just emailing any school I was interested in or ones that had already expressed interest in me for softball. I had no idea where I would end up.

What do you plan on studying? 

Pre-vet. It has always been a dream career of mine.

I am excited to live in Memphis and enjoy my last couple of years playing softball. I love that it is in another city like Houston. I wanted to have big-city opportunities for jobs and internships during college.

Elijah Lawrence: 

Elijah Lawrence commits to Rice University, one of his dream schools. (Photos provided by Elijah Lawrence)

Rice University. I committed on Aug. 10. It was a Sunday evening, after church.

What sport will you be playing?

Basketball

I have been playing since the first grade. I got started outside at a park. My dad would train me and my older brothers. I wasn’t always good at first, but competing against my brothers helped me gain interest. I decided to stick with basketball because it was something I could use for God. My faith in God has always been number one for me. I didn’t just wanna play basketball just to play. In middle school, I made up my mind that basketball will be something I use as a platform to bring Him Glory.

How did your school reach out to you? 

It’s actually a very long story. Rice started recruiting me in the summer of last year into the school year of 2019 through 2020. They would watch me play games over the course of the season. I took a visit before the playoffs last year, and I was able to watch practices and meet the players and coaches. Due to COVID-19, they weren’t able to make an offer in the early summer. After they adapted to COVID-19, they made me an offer in August. 

Honestly, I was excited. I had 10 offers, but I told my parents if Rice offered I was committing hands-down. Rice felt like home, and academically and athletically I saw myself at Rice.

Was this school always on your radar? 

Yes, Rice was always on my radar. Once you graduate from Rice I believe great things are waiting at your feet. Also, staying in my home town and being able to play in front of my family is amazing. And my church and ministry are here. Without my church and my faith in God, I wouldn’t be who I am today. Attending Rice and staying home for the next 4 years is truly a blessing.

I knew I was getting scouted, so I didn’t need to.

What do you plan on studying? 

I have not made up my mind yet. If I like economics this year I will major in economics. If not then I will major in English. I really love English and I believe with the platforms God has blessed me with now and those he will bless me with later, English will be a skill set I would love to have.

I’m looking forward to changing the culture of Rice University. I believe my spirituality and the way I complete God’s purpose can help me achieve this goal.