Walking through the wide receiver room

Football eyes return to playoffs following a two-year drought
Nathaniel Allen celebrates the team’s first win against Westside. Allen had a first half touchdown and 42-yard reception in the fourth quarter to aid in Bellaire’s victory.

They’re the focal point of Bellaire’s offense in the end zone. Despite a running back heavy offense that averages over 20 carries a game featuring dual-threat quarterback sophomore Will Hazen, Bellaire’s ability to score is primarily dependent on its wide receiver core.

Following a breakout game against Westside with three receiving touchdowns across 189 yards, 10 receptions and a clutch two-point conversion in their 15-14 win against Westbury and a dominant 38-21 victory over Sam Houston, the wide receivers look to continue their hot streak across their last two district games.

“It’s been a long time coming,” junior wide receiver Nathaniel Allen said. “It’s been a while since I’ve felt this good about football.”

It was the hands of Allen that corralled a two point-conversion off of junior quarterback Nolan Pursley’s pass from a double reverse to give Bellaire a one point lead in their third district game against Westbury. Bellaire holds a 3-1 district record, placing them third in the 6A Region III District 18 standings. Allen and junior wide receiver Tony Miller contribute these newfound successes and special moments to their preparation before games.

“[The most important thing to me is to] just be locked in before the game,” Miller said. “[To just] drink some water and just be ready to win and compete.”

However, Allen also wants to contribute this success to the arrival of a new coach.

“The week before [the Westbury game] we got coach Monroe and we’re glad to have him here,” Allen said. “Because previously, we had just sort of been by ourselves.”

Monroe’s arrival corresponds with the emerging dominance of Bellaire’s passing game, scoring four touchdown passes in his first two weeks.

While there have been changes within the wide receiver coaching staff, what hasn’t changed for the receivers is their pre-game ritual. Senior wide receiver Keenan Livingston’s pregame ritual almost always includes music – both his and Miller’s way of mentally preparing for the game.

“I just get locked in and listen to music, and that’s all I do to [mentally] prepare,” Livingston said. “[I listen to] Lil Double 0 and NBA Youngboy, that’s about it.”

Ninety percent of the songs Miller listens to also are by NBA Youngboy. On the other hand, Allen’s emotions have a larger factor on his pre-game music.

“I’m not gonna lie, I don’t listen to like [hype] music,” Allen said. “I sometimes listen to rock and rap, but most of the time, I just listen to more down-low music because I’ll be stressing out during the game.”

The pregame emotions are very different for each receiver, but all involve some form of anticipation.

“Oh, [I’m] definitely amped up before games,” Miller said. “I can’t be chill because to me, I’ve just got butterflies in my stomach.”

Allen, despite his down-low music, still feels the pressure before his games.

“For me, I’ll be stressing over a game,” Allen said, “So for me, I’m trying to either not think about that stress too much or turn that stress into excitement, but of course, I’m always excited.”

As for Livingston, he feels like that excitement isn’t always needed.

“I’d be excited in the [pre-game] moments but I wouldn’t be on the field,” Livingston said. “I’d just be locked in and try to do my job in the best possible way I can.”

Football has two remaining district games before the end of the season: Bellaire’s return to Barnett against Chavez, and then putting the season to rest against Lamar Nov. 2. at Butler. However, the Cardinals’ plans for Chavez differ very much from Lamar.

“Chavez and Sam Houston, we know we’re gonna win those games,” Miller said. “We’re better than them. We’re trying to get to the playoffs, but Lamar… they’re a good team.”

With Bellaire’s final game of the season being against its toughest and fiercest rival, an entire season of experience will be needed before they take on their biggest division rival. Their plans for Lamar entail a lot more preparation.

“For Lamar, I’m going to definitely be watching lots of film,” Allen said. “We all know they’re really good but we’re definitely going to just try our best. Even for Chavez, we’re going to do our best that we can because we’re trying to bring home the wins for Bellaire.”

Bellaire Football has not been to the playoffs since 2020. Despite achieving that goal of having a near guaranteed spot for this season, Miller and Allen have their sights set even higher for next season.

“I want a better record next year,” Miller said. “There were a lot of games that I think we just gave up on, so I’d love to go 6-4.”

Allen also wants Bellaire to have the same improvement but highlighted the importance of the preseason and how it translates to the team’s district games.

“What really matters is the district season, but I feel like getting a few wins in the preseason would be really helpful,” Allen said. “And hey, if we make playoffs again, [our goal is] to go even further than we did this year.”

Despite a winless preseason, Miller and Livingston haven’t let it affect their district play.

“It’s something different, districts affect how we’re gonna make playoffs, so we’re more locked in,” Miller said.

Livingston believed that the team simply needed to step it up.

“We just got tired of losing, you know?” Livingston said.

Along with the team’s district success this season, all three receivers have their own personal goals for next season.

“I definitely want more touchdowns than this year,” Miller said. “That’s about it, but also to just be more locked in… all us receivers want to be more locked in.”

Livingston’s goal for this season is to score a touchdown.

“My personal goal is to score at least once because I have zero stats,” Livingston said.

Allen just wants to continue to succeed. He’s had seven receptions for 74 yards and a reception this season alone.

“[My goal is] always being the best I can, trying my best and practicing my best,” Allen said. “And overall, improving from what I did last time.”

Bellaire faces Chavez at Barnett on Thursday, Oct. 26 as they look to build their win streak to four games for the first time since 2020 and secure a playoff spot.

View Comments (1)