Preview of Super Bowl LVIII: Kansas City Chiefs vs. San Francisco 49ers

Ezra Shaw/Getty Images
Brock Purdy flexes during the 49ers Week 5 trouncing of the Cowboys.

It’s the biggest game of the year in America.

Over 68 million Americans will bet on the game.

About a third of the United States of America will watch.

It is a rematch of Super Bowl LIV.

This is Super Bowl LVIII, hosted in Las Vegas at Allegiant Stadium.

The Chiefs have been here before. They are the reigning champions and are led by one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, Patrick Mahomes. In six seasons as the starting QB for the Chiefs, Mahomes has made six AFC Championship games, won two MVPs, and two Super Bowls, with the chance to add a third this year. With a win on Sunday, he would cement himself as a top 5 quarterback of all time, and the discussions would continue to intensify if he could catch Tom Brady, (Chad Ochocinco sure thinks so).

The other quarterback on the field, Mr. Irrelevant, aka Brock Purdy, might be an even better story. Picked at number 262 in the 2022 NFL draft, he patiently waited his turn and learned the 49ers playbook. When injuries sidelined starting quarterbacks Trey Lance and Jimmy Garopollo, Purdy was thrust directly into the fray. All he did in his first eight starts in the NFL was go 8-0 and led the Niners to the NFC Championship game, where he suffered a torn UCL against the Eagles in the first quarter. The one major question mark fans have about Purdy is if he is a product of the 49ers, or if he really is an elite QB.

The 49ers have possibly the best, most well-rounded roster in the entire league. They have the greatest left tackle in the sport, the best running back, a top tight end, and multiple top 20 wide receivers. Oh, and they also have one of the best defenses in the league, ranking top 10 in all major categories.

Mahomes, on the other hand, has one of the worst receiving corps in the NFL. He does, however, have Travis Kelce, a great defense, and a good run game working in his favor. The Chiefs led the NFL in drops this season, so what Mahomes is doing is nothing short of spectacular.

Andy Reid, the head coach for the Chiefs, and Kyle Shanahan, the head coach for the 49ers, have schemed their QB’s in the perfect way to complement their style of play and make the most use of the surrounding talents around them. Reid is looking for his third ring in four years to cement himself as one of the greatest coaches of all time. Shanahan is looking to overcome previous postseason demons. He was the offensive coordinator for the Atlanta Falcons in Super Bowl LI, a game the Falcons choked away a 28-3 to the New England Patriots in spectacular fashion. They ended up losing that game, and three years later, with the Niners, Shanahan yet again lost a big lead in the fourth quarter, letting Mahomes score 21 unanswered points after being down 20-10. The Chiefs won 31-10 and the Niners have been fighting to get back to the Super Bowl since then.

In the NFC Championship game though, the Niners were the team to come back. Against the Lions, they entered halftime down 24-7, and questions already started mounting if Shanahan could ever evict his demons. The 49ers stormed back and ended up winning the game 34-31 to set up a rematch of Super Bowl LIV after the Chiefs beat the Baltimore Ravens 17-10 earlier in the day.

The game, taking place at 6:30 p.m. EST, is poised to be a game of epic proportions. The Niners are currently favored to win, and many believe that they will. The halftime show is always a major spectacle as well, with Usher performing at the intermission this year. With whatever happens with the game, there will almost certainly be constant coverage of Taylor Swift (eye-roll) whenever Travis Kelce makes any sort of play. Stars will be decorated around the stadium, but the only stars that matter are the 53 men on each side of the field, hoping to will their team to victory.

Bellaire students think that the 49ers have the edge, according to an Instagram Poll. (Graphic by Lucas Dolibois)

View Comments (2)