Game day recap: Bellaire vs. Klein Collins 9/10/15

KaTia Shields

Cardinals face off against the Klein Collins Tigers across the line of scrimmage.

Kate Jones, Staff Writer

Last Thurs., the Belles, cheerleaders, Birdkeepers, Booster Club, Mighty Cardinal Band, Color Guard, and football players drove an hour-long trip for the game against Klein Collins at Klein Collins Memorial Stadium. As a televised football game, this game carried extra excitement for the Cardinals.

Against the 15th best team in the state, the Cardinals faced a formidable opponent.

“I expected it to be chaotic, because it’s a Thursday and it’s a Thursday game,” sophomore Ilana Inselbuch said.

As a band member, she knew just how chaotic the Thursday night lights were. Sacrifices were made with extensive practice, long bus rides and anticipation until the game began. Cardinals started strong with a field goal in the first quarter. Shortly after, the Klein Collins Tigers scored a touchdown. Cardinals struggled to keep up as the game advanced. They played without scoring while the Tigers continued to score with a series of touchdowns. Halftime finished with a score of 3 to 41.

38 points behind, chances looked slim for the Cardinals at the start of third quarter. Roaring back at the beginning of the fourth, the Cardinals narrowed the margin within a few minutes. Both teams scored, the score rose intermittently, and an intense quarter ensued. In the last five minutes alone, the Cardinals executed two touchdowns for 13 points. At 22 to 48, time ran out and the Cardinals lost. Despite the loss, the game was still a positive experience.

“I felt like we had a lot of energy,” sophomore Ilana Inselbuch said.

She mentioned the enthusiasm level among Band members, frequent attendees who rarely receive recognition. The comeback certainly raised morale and promise showed encouraged a great season to come.