There’s no blank space in theaters: Taylor Swift’s concert sells record tickets

Photo provided by Adna Halilagic
Adna Halilagic wore matching cardigans and bows with her friend.

“It’s a love story, baby, just say yes.” Taylor Swift captivates fans around the world with her iconic music. After Swift’s concert this year, many fans were left wanting more.

Taylor Swift Productions released the Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour movie to theaters on Oct. 13. Within the first three days of its release, the movie made $92.8 million.

As with the concert, fans dressed up as their favorite album or era and passionately sang along throughout. The movie was not just a sit-and-watch but rather a stand-and-dance experience. The bond between Taylor Swift and her ‘Swifties’ is unbreakable.

Students answered a poll on Oct. 17 about whether they attended the Taylor Swift Eras Tour Concert. (Kate Steinbach)

Sophomore Adna Halilagic has supported Taylor Swift since 2020. She attended the Eras Tour concert when it came to Houston in April.

“I really liked her album ‘Evermore’ when it came out,” Halilagic said. “So, my friend and I just started listening to her after that. [For the concert], I dressed up as ‘Red’. I had the ‘Not a lot going on at the moment’ from her ‘22’ music video outfit and I had the red heart sunglasses.”

When watching the Eras Tour movie, Halilagic wore matching cardigans and bows with her friend. She rated the movie a nine out of ten because Taylor Swift Productions cut out some of her favorite songs.

“The environment was so good,” Halilagic said. “There wasn’t anyone dancing at the front, but everyone was singing along. It was really cute. It was also a lot more comfortable and calm than the actual concert.”

Though junior Ava Skow didn’t become a fan until after the Eras Tour concert came to Houston, she attended the movie on the opening night. Skow enjoyed her experience in the theater, feeling there was a similar atmosphere to what the actual concert would’ve been like.

Data was collected on Oct. 17 from students about whether they attended the Taylor Swift Eras Tour Movie. (Kate Steinbach)

“There were a lot of people singing through the entire event and then towards the end, people started getting up and dancing,” Skow said.

At the Eras Tour concert, many fans will trade Taylor Swift themed friendship bracelets that have been made prior to the event. This tradition has carried on to the movie theaters.

“Some girls gave me friendship bracelets,” Skow said. “At the end, I also got up and danced.”

Senior Ryan Rexford also appreciated the energy the fans brought with them, though her viewing was calmer than some.

“No one was really standing up and dancing, but everyone was singing along,” Rexford said. “The experience was really like the concert.”

With the in-person concert running at nearly three and a half hours, some songs had to be cut out in order to make the movie shorter, running at just under three hours. Songs excluded from the movie included “The Archer”, “cardigan” and “Long Live”.

“I was a little sad that Archer got cut,” Rexford continued. “But then again, I think I would have been sad for any song being cut out.”

View Comments (1)