Chasing the golden gavel

Sophomore makes Bellaire debate history
Provided by Samantha Tran
Tran was a finalist at the 2024 UIL State Tournament which took place from January 10 – 11. It was held at the Texas State Capitol.

The clock reads 3 a.m. in bold, red letters. It’s far too late to still be awake on a Thursday night. But she can’t sleep yet, not until she perfects her speeches.

Her tournament the next day will be one of the most important moments in her debate career; she can’t rest. After all, victory doesn’t come easy when your opponents are the best students from all over the country.

From Louisiana to Kentucky, Georgia to Arizona and all over Texas, sophomore Samantha Tran has traveled all over the United States to attend debate tournaments.

Now, Tran spends 15-25 hours a week preparing for upcoming tournaments, which are nearly every weekend depending on the time of the year. Sometimes, she misses a week of school per month traveling to various states.

Since joining “one of the best teams in Texas” at Bellaire in her freshman year, Tran participates mainly in congressional debate where students try to emulate members of the U.S. Congress by debating pieces of legislation.

As a freshman, Tran qualified for quarter-finals at the National Speech and Debate Tournament and made history at Bellaire as the first freshman to ever attend the Barkley Forum for High Schools at Emory University. She also ranked among the top 100 students in the nation and top 20 in the state.

Tran stands with her teammates at the National Speech and Debate Tournament in 2023. She was a quarter-finalist at one of the most competitive tournaments in the nation while only being a freshman. (Provided by Samantha Tran)

For Tran, debate is all about competition, success and growth.

“Debate is my passion because to fight for what I personally believe in is what I enjoy,” Tran said.

“Debate plays a crucial role in shaping my perspectives and worldview regarding complex issues and controversies. I especially love the pressure and thrill of competition.”

Tran’s biggest supporters are her parents. They do their best to ensure she can attend debate tournaments and pursue her passion without any obstacles.

“My mom has always attended my tournaments, and my dad works long days so my mom can go support me,” Tran said. “They always push me towards the right path and comfort me during times when I feel the absolute worst. They don’t understand how thankful I am for that.”

For their part, Tran’s parents say they will do anything they can to support her and help her reach her goals. Though it is difficult at times, her dad Alex Tran believes that as a parent, he will sacrifice anything for her to achieve her dreams.

“Although I can’t physically be there with Samantha, I make sure her mom is able to go with her, keep her safe and support her for me,” Alex Tran said. “I also keep her updated on the news and politics in the world, and I try my best to help by answering any of her questions.”

Tran’s mother Gwendoline Tran goes to all of her tournaments to support her, sitting for “six to eight hours watching her debate” on average. She says that she always brings a printer with her and packs food for Tran in case there is no time to order food because of tight schedules.

“I am the very first person to see Samantha grow,” Gwendoline Tran said. “I’ve been there to witness it firsthand, tournament by tournament. What makes my heart heavy is when she over-pressures herself and I witness her crying after seeing her tournament results.”

Tran attended the National Speech and Debate Tournament in Phoenix, Arizona, the UIL State Competition in Austin, Texas, the Isidore Newman School Invitational in New Orleans, Louisiana, the Tournament of Champions in Atlanta, Georgia and the Barkley Forum for High Schools at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia. This year, she has already qualified for the Tournament of Champions set to take place in April. (Serena Li)

Tran secondly attributes her success to her debate coach, Jay Stubbs, who has been coaching at Bellaire since 1999 and was inducted into the National Speech and Debate Association Hall of Fame in 2014.

“Mr. Stubbs has given me many opportunities as a freshman to excel and guided me through every obstacle,” she said. “I wouldn’t be as successful as I am now without him.”

Stubbs believes that Tran is not only a successful debater but also a supportive teammate. He said that “her talent was apparent [from] her first day.”

“She seeks out and finds unique arguments that others do not find,” Stubbs said. “She is also open-minded, which means she is willing to listen to the thoughts of others.”

While debate may seem like a lot of work, Tran does not view it as a chore or something she has to do. For her, it’s a way to challenge assumptions and expand her knowledge on both global and nationwide issues.

“Many people have fun playing sports, but I have fun arguing and [acting] as Congress [members] or senators,” Tran said. “In fact, debate has significantly improved my writing skills and ability to quickly analyze long texts.”

During tournaments, Tran’s biggest obstacle is her own self doubt. When she receives negative feedback, “that type of mentality affects [her] later tournaments.”

“I’m extremely judgmental of my own performance,” Tran said. “One bad feedback from a judge doesn’t define who you are. Be confident in yourself and your abilities.”

Tran plans on turning debate into her career. In college, she wants to be involved in the mock trial debate since colleges don’t offer congressional debate. She has long set her sights on becoming a lawyer with the goal of fighting for her beliefs.

“My beliefs revolve around benefiting and protecting the people and our country,” she said. “It’s a tough world out there, and if I can personally make any changes that put people into a better position, then that’s my goal.”

For new debaters, Tran believes it’s most important not to give up before you’ve even tried; though it may seem intimidating to go up against so many strong opponents, you still have to give it your best shot.

“There are always going to be people better than you, but you will always have the ability to overcome them,” Tran said. “They might be the best debaters, but they aren’t undefeatable.”

View Comments (3)