HUMANS OF BELLAIRE – Megan Roberts, 10

Provided by Megan Roberts

“I was in third grade. My mom made me play. She said music helps your brain, it makes you smarter.

So she made me play piano, and I hated it. Because when you’re starting off, it’s really hard. You’re not playing fun songs. You’re playing Hot Cross Buns or whatever, like those boring songs.

After I moved to California, I stopped taking lessons for two years. I didn’t really do anything. Then I moved to Houston. I was applying for middle school, and choosing my electives. I picked piano on the bottom [of the list] and somehow I got in. Because I was already experienced, I didn’t just start from the bottom. I started to actually play songs that I liked. That’s when I really started to love it.

I want to continue piano for all of high school. Piano is fourth period for me and when I sit down, I just relax. For me, that class is where I don’t have to worry about anything, really. It is a time where I can have fun. And when stuff is changing, like a new school year, it’s really good to have a class like piano with the same friends, the same teacher and just be able to sit down and play.

Right now I’m playing ‘Misty.’ I know it from a cover by Ella Fitzgerald. Last year, I played ‘My Melancholy Blues’ by Queen. A lot of people play classical, which I think is what you’re supposed to do, but I just love jazz songs.

I think [playing piano] has made me feel safe and like I’m somewhere I belong. And it makes me smarter too, I guess.”

View Comments (1)