HUMANS OF BELLAIRE – Samip Bhattarai

“I was born in Nepal. We moved here in 2014 [when I was] in second grade, and I had to learn English. A big reason that [my parents] moved us here is because they wanted me to have a life that was impactful and successful compared to [a life] in Nepal. There, most people will eventually go out of the country because the opportunities are not that big. They brought me here so I [could] have a jumpstart and I’ll be able to support them later on in life.

Because we are an immigrant family, [my parents] didn’t know [the college application process], so I had to figure it out on my own. I speak Nepali at home and [didn’t get a college counselor or use the Bellaire college center]. It was mainly just me. My friends [also] helped me figure out what I needed to get done by when.

[In high school], my experience has been really positive. The community aspect is what I really like. I am part of SASA [South Asian Student’s Association] and the Hindi National Honor Society. I like sharing our culture and seeing that we are represented in the school. During my senior year, I [participated in] the Diwali event, and had a lot of people show up, which has been a big highlight of my four years here at Bellaire.

[I was motivated to go to college] because I wanted to prove myself. As an immigrant child, you feel pressure because your parents did so much and sacrificed so much to bring you here. It’s not doing them justice if you don’t [go to college]

I am very proud [of being a first generation college student]. Hopefully I’ll be able to provide my parents a better life like they had for me because they’ve made lots of sacrifices to come over here. Hopefully with getting into college and getting my degree and a job, I’ll be able to return that favor back to them and make them feel proud.”