HUMANS OF BELLAIRE – Ella Turney

Raymond Han
Turney pitches the ball during a softball game. Turney said that softball has helped her get closer with friends and coaches and build “new relationships.”

“I started [softball] [at] 8 years old and then continued up until COVID hit. [But] then I wanted to get involved again and I [thought], okay, [I’ll] try it freshman year. I really liked it. I’m glad I came back to softball.

[Growing up], I think I definitely was immersed in all the sports but softball was the one that really stuck out to me because I like every aspect of it: the fielding, the hitting, and [playing] different positions. I started watching [the Astros] when I was 5 [with] my grandma. I’m very passionate about watching [them, which] definitely helped me with my softball career. I really get into it, because [the Astros are] a team that I’ve grown up with. I learn new things while watching them and then use [what I learn] on the field.

When you start as a new pitcher, you’re not going to be the best. You have to accept that. If I have a bad game, I just try to remind myself the next batter I can always do better. I try to keep that mindset going throughout [our first] game and into the upcoming games.

My favorite moment [from the first Bellaire game I pitched] was getting a strikeout. I’m new to pitching so [strikeouts] boost my confidence, especially when I’m struggling like I [was] against Goose Creek Memorial. At the end of the game, I felt like I didn’t do the best that I could do and really wish I could’ve done more to help my team win, [but] I am going to learn from this game and move on to the next one.”

I’ve had a lot of support from my coaches and from my teammates. That’s definitely helped me. They make it easier. [I] know that I’m gonna make mistakes, but [my teammates] cheer me on when I do [well] and then pick me up when I could do better.

I started playing on travel teams [after getting into softball]. Every summer, we would travel to different places and play lots of games. That was really fun, and it’s [also] gotten me closer to some of my best friends today. I really enjoy playing the sport that I love with my best friends and building new relationships.”