Young Democrats club hosts lunch Syria discussion for all voices

Courtesy of Bellaire Young Democrats
Courtesy of Bellaire Young Democrats

Last Thursday, a wide range of  students met at Ms. Herrin’s room at lunch to participate in a discussion about the Syrian issue. The discussion was hosted by Bellaire Young Democrats and was open to all people. Many republicans, democrats, and independents came to voice their opinions about Syria and to debate whether military intervention is necessary.

Some people argued that it wasn’t the United States’ job to act as international police, and therefore military intervention is not necessary. Others argued against those points by saying that the United States is morally obligated to intervene because its foreign policy calls for action. Either way, students felt compelled to discuss the drastic problem that is affecting the global community, agreeing that the use of chemical weapons on civilians is not an action to be taken lightly.

Both stances on the issue were welcome, and made for an interesting debate. Senior Claire Burrus, secretary of Young Democrats, talked about the discussion and about the club.

“The discussion was very interesting,” Burrus said. “I enjoyed listening to different opinions and arguments that I had not heard before. It seemed that the general consensus was that we, as the United States, should not intervene in Syria due to problems like other countries or our own economy.”

Burrus went on further to explain that the meetings and clubs are open to everybody in the school.

“The discussions are open to everybody, not just Young Democrats or Young Republicans. Anybody can come to the discussions really. One thing that I like about the club and its discussions is that you don’t need to know every single detail about the issue before going, you can go to voice your opinion but you can also go to learn new perspectives.”

Both Bellaire Young Democrats and Bellaire Young Republicans urge students to join in on the discussions and have their opinions voiced. Being a part of these clubs allows students to not only speak what they believe but to learn about different perspectives and ideas as well.

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.