Human Geography class pushes on to Yellowstone trip despite government shutdown

Courtesy of Flickr.com

As Human Geography teacher Ann Linsley’s class heads out on its annual visit to Yellowstone National Park, uncertainty looms over their shoulders. On Oct. 1, the national government officially shutdown at midnight. What does this mean for Linsley’s class? No federal government, no national parks. No national parks, no Yellowstone. Still, Linsley is determined to continue on and shares her thoughts on the details of the trip, its future and the headache the national government has created for the Human Geography tour group.

What does the Yellowstone trip aim to do?
Linsley: We’ve done it for 15 years. It’s a field study in volcanic and glacial topography covering the physical topics that are required as a part of the level 2 geography class. We do field testing and geothermic features, and rock and geological identification.

How has the government shutdown affected the trip?
Linsley: Well, it’s a problem. We go hour by hour right now. The airline tickets are paid for.

How have students reacted?
Linsley: Half of them haven’t even heard the news.

How much planning have you put into this?
Linsley: It’s huge. I am the travel agent, teacher, guide. I buy their food. I started in February with their reservations. The housing [contractors], because I use the same places I’ve used for years, don’t make me pay a deposit. We’re contracted to be there, so we are still going.

Do you have anything you would like to add on the subject?
Linsley: The [government] can leave their attitudes at home and do what’s right. It’s the little man, in the end, who is suffering the most on this. All the low-level government workers who are being furloughed eventually will get paid, but if they live paycheck to paycheck, they’re going to miss a paycheck if something doesn’t happen. It’s the support economy and all these areas around everything, ‘Mom and Pop’ restaurants and tour companies. It’s not just the national parks, but national monuments and all the buildings, all the vendors that don’t have anyone coming by the Smithsonian to buy anything. Those are the folks that are being getting the short end in this.

It’s irritating because it’s potentially causing 50 kids to not get to experience what the others over 15 years have. And I can look back and I’ve gotten all kinds of messages from kids that I’ve had, that are now adults, that have gone on and majored in the geosciences, and the one thing they say is that ‘This is what did it for me. This is the one thing that decided this is what I wanted to do for my life career.’ And as a teacher, that’s awesome, and to see that potentially there’s one student group in this that will not have the same inspiration is unfortunate and very disappointing.

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.