Breast Cancer Club holds annual breast cancer awareness luncheon

Emotion Dance Company performs to dances to entertain during the Cancer Awareness Luncheon. Courtesy of Annie Shen

Tables are lined up. Pink tablecloths drape over every table. Pink breast cancer awareness related posters adorn the normally white walls. On Oct. 20, the multipurpose room was transformed for the Breast Cancer Awareness Luncheon.

Three stations were placed on one side of the wall, each station serving a different entrée. The three different entrees were Fettuccini Alfredo, which was the vegetarian option, Pasta Capri and Spicy Italian Sausage. A salad with ranch dressing and a slice of garlic bread came on the side. On the opposite side of the room, there was sweet tea and lemonade from Chic-fil-A.  There was another table dedicated to desserts. Red velvet cookies and cupcakes with pink frosting were formed in the shape of pink ribbon. Anyone who bought a ticket was free to grab a drink and a desert. Café Express served the food and all proceeds were donated in support of cancer research.

Once students received their food, they were able to sit down at one of the tables to enjoy their meal. Shortly afterwards, the Belles performed a dance followed by Emotion Dance Company modern, hip hop and breakdancing performing several dances that they had prepared. Overall the luncheon turned out to be a success. Students were able to enjoy a nice meal, watch Emotion and Belles dance and still be able to contribute to cancer research.

English teacher Camille Quaite sponsors breast Cancer Awareness Club and there is not a set date of meetings. The club volunteers for several races dealing with all types of cancer and even donates care packages to cancer patients in the hospital.