eMOTION dance group takes nine trophies at Tremaine Dance Competition

The group performed guest-choreographed routines and swept the competition.

On November 3rd, eMOTION modern won nine trophies at Tremaine Dance Competition. eMOTION sponsor and dance teacher Sanja Korman attributed the success towards eMOTION president senior Jennifer Li’s and vice president senior Mayline Zhong’s hard work and determination in practice before the competition.

“The dancers practiced during class and after school to prepare for Tremain,” Korman said. “Jennifer and Mayline divided the dancers into two groups and worked to clean the dances so they would be ready for the competition.”

Li and Zhong performed solos along with officers senior Noga Kamenetsky and junior Vicky Weng. Li and Weng performed contemporary solos. Zhong performed a solo in the “other” and “ethnic” category. Kamenetsky performed a jazz solo. All of the soloists won first place in their respective categories and were remembered for their routines.

“My soloists were really amazing,” Korman said. “The audience remembered them for having long, extended legs and pointed toes. The judges even remembered them. All of the soloists won first place, but Vicky beat Jennifer for the first time. Vicky got first place and Jennifer got second. Both routines were very good.”

In addition to the solos, eMOTION performed four group dances. Zhong choreographed the group lyrical dance for the spring 2013 show. Korman felt the dance was strong enough to take to competition.

“The dance was from the presentation of statues in Night at the Museum,” Korman said. “The dance was lyrical, and the choreography was very well done. I’m happy we took it to competition.”

Guest choreographers choreographed other group dances. Guest choreographer Kelly Ann Vitacca choreographed The River. The River was the highest scored dance in the entire competition. It was ranked the best dance in the whole competition.

“The girls had the opportunity to perform their dance to professionals the next day,” Korman said. “It was a big honor, and the dance was very well received by the professionals. I got calls from many people congratulating me and the dancers. Winning all of the awards and performing for the professionals was the highlight of the weekend.”

Korman looks forward to the eMOTION winter show on Friday, December 13th. She is very proud of the modern eMOTION dancers and admires their hard work and determination.

“Tremaine is known for upscale jazzy and contemporary style,” Korman said. “It’s very hard to compete there because many elite and private studios compete there. I’m very proud of the girls and their hard work.”