Serving into the spring season: varsity tennis team plays its first tournament of the season

Ellen Dai runs to return a short ball during her girls’ doubles match. Dai plays on the outdoor courts of Chancellors Family Center.

The varsity tennis team played an unranked tournament in both doubles and singles matches against Clear Brook High School, Fulshear High School, Jordan High School and Lamar High School at Chancellors Family Center on Jan. 12.

Sophomore Alex Morrissette played two sets, winning 8-3 and 8-2 in boy’s singles against Clear Brook. Despite the win, Morrissette felt uneasy at the start.

“I was nervous when going into my matches because I didn’t know how it would go since I only played a couple of times before the tournament,” Morrissette said. “Luckily, I played over the [winter] break, so I was pretty warmed up.”

Going into her first spring season of high school, freshman Raya Jogi didn’t let the stress get to her.

Raya Jogi played three game sets in girl’s singles, winning twice, 8-5 and 8-2, and losing 4-8 in the finals. No matter the outcome, she remained positive.

“I just love to play tennis, and I am very glad that I made varsity because it has given me the chance to play as much as possible,” Raya Jogi said. “The team is super welcoming and it is a great environment for me to play in.”

Junior Ellen Dai played three sets with junior Shyla Jogi in girls’ doubles. The pair won two out of three games, but lost in the finals.

The doubles team ended with winning scores of 8-0, 8-8 with a tiebreaker of 7-5 and lastly, a game with a score of 8-8 with a losing tiebreaker score of 5-7 in the finals. Despite losing in the finals round, Dai considers the tournament a success that brought the team closer together.

“We now know what our weaknesses are and how we can work on it to make sure we get to finals or to champions [for] future doubles games that we do play,” Dai said. “[This tournament was] the first time we had played [in] an actual tournament and outside of school.”

View Comments (1)