Bringing in a new year: How Greek Club celebrates 2024

Allie Maglaras cuts one of two cakes for the Greek club meeting. Members CeCe Stampas and Grish Oomman found the coins hidden inside.

On Jan. 19, Greek Club members met for their first meeting of 2024. They celebrated the new year with vasilopita, a cake typically eaten on the first day of the year in Greek custom.

Hidden inside the cake is a quarter, a source of good luck for the person who finds it. It comes from the Greek Orthodox tradition of Saint Basil who shared his wealth with the poor.

Senior and club president Allie Maglaras baked and decorated the cake, a process that took about three hours. She dedicates this time to the club in order to spread Greek culture, which to her is “super fun and exciting.”

“We are very loud, joyful people who will always be found dancing or eating which you can never go wrong with,” Maglaras said. “Also, so many people already know a ton about Greek culture from Greek mythology, so it’s cool to share the modern versions of the culture people have already learned so much about.”

While sharing Greek culture with others is one aspect of the club, members are also able to simply spend time with one another in what junior CeCe Stampas describes as a “really chill environment.”

“I think it’s a great place to come together,” Stampas said. “They bring food; I get to write on the whiteboard in Greek. It’s great. It’s cool to see how many Greek people are at Bellaire.”

Although Stampas is Greek, the environment can be enjoyed by everyone, regardless of culture. Junior Grish Oomman also enjoys the sense of community the club provides.

“You get to meet so many wonderful people,” Oomman said. “It’s always a good time and a learning experience every meeting. It’s very lowkey and we all just enjoy each other’s company.”

Besides hanging out with the other members, Oomman also left the meetings with a better understanding of Greek culture.

“I just hope to gain knowledge about Greek culture at future events,” Oomman said. “It’s really interesting getting to learn about new traditions and noticing the similarities or differences between my own culture.”

Members like Oomman have already learned basic Greek words and dances, and in future meetings, Maglaras plans on making tzatziki and watching “My Big Fat Greek Wedding.”

“My favorite part of Greek Club is seeing people have fun and enjoy new things that play such a prominent role in my life,” Maglaras said. “I was in awe of how much fun people had Greek dancing during one of our meetings. It is something I’ve grown up around and learned to love. I’m glad that I can share it with others.”

Greek club meets on Tuesdays in Room 2715. To keep up with future events, follow its Instagram @bhs_greekclub.