Valentine’s Day brings sweet treats and buddies together for celebration

Members+of+Best+Buddies%2Fdessert+club+help+the+buddies+decorate+their+cookies+with+frosting+and+sprinkles.+According+to+Kaufman%2C+most+of+the+buddies+either+loved+or+hated+the+sprinkles.+
Claire Bradford
Members of Best Buddies/dessert club help the buddies decorate their cookies with frosting and sprinkles. According to Kaufman, most of the buddies either loved or hated the sprinkles.

Best Buddies and the Dessert Club collaborated as a Valentine’s Day celebration in the buddies’ classroom on Feb. 9. The dessert club brought cupcakes and cookies for the buddies and members to decorate, as well as supplies to do so.

Junior Meaghan Lande, a classroom manager for Best Buddies, said that she thought the collaboration went well, considering they hadn’t done it since she had been a member.

“Since Valentine’s Day is associated with treats, the dessert club could contribute that part, and then [best buddies] could contribute the people,” Lande said. “So when we combined, it [created] happiness.”

No matter which classroom the buddies were in, they all seemed to be happy.

“I did not see a single sad face,” Lande said. “[The buddies] were just having fun decorating cookies and everyone just had a smile on their face and looked like they were having a good time.”

The buddies and members of the Dessert Club and Best Buddies are involved in a game of Connect 4. The buddies’ room always has games available for them to play, especially at meetings like this. (Tanvi Dubey)

This event proved successful for the officers of the Dessert Club as well. Junior Daphne Kaufman, one of the bake chairs for the club, had a great time at the meeting considering it was her first time being to a best buddies meeting, or even being to that part of the school.

“I enjoyed being able to lend a helping hand and be of assistance of some sort,” Kaufman said. “I really liked sprinkling [the buddies’] cookies. It was really funny because either they really wanted sprinkles or they didn’t want sprinkles at all.”

All members of the Dessert Club and Best Buddies Club were sitting and talking together. Freshman Evyn Rudin, who had never been to a Best Buddies meeting either, was a part of one of these tables.

“There was a group of a few boys at a table that my friends and I were at, and they were talking with us and making jokes,” Rudin said. “There was also a girl named Bethany, who was the sweetest and gave us a hug.”

On the other side of the same room, a lot of members and buddies had gotten involved in a dance party.

“The dance party [was definitely my favorite part of the meeting],” Kaufman said. “They were playing Bruno Mars, and we started dancing. It was super rewarding and it just felt like I had known [the buddies] for a while just from that experience, [even though it was my first time meeting them].”

The buddies and members of the Dessert Club engaged in a dance party. Many of the members involved said that this was their favorite part of the whole meeting. (Claire Bradford)

Both Lande and Kaufman say that they would be interested in another collaboration between the two clubs.

“Next year, Valentine’s Day would be another good option, and any other holidays involving desserts so we could make the buddies happy again,” Lande said.

Even Rudin, who had attended a best buddies meeting for the first time, said that she would go back again to another best buddies and dessert club collaboration.

“It was also nice to see how they interact,” Rudin said. “[The buddies] were laughing because of how [the cupcakes] were decorated and just having fun.”

To join the Best Buddies Club, join their remind, @bhsbbuds and attend fun Fridays in the buddies’ rooms, and to join Dessert Club, text @bellairedc to 81010.