Flinging into spring

Student Council hosts first annual spring fling
Claire Bradford
Lala Flores dances at the Spring Fling with her friends. Students were given complimentary heart-shaped glasses and flower crowns as they entered the school.

About 250 students attended the first spring dance hosted by Student Council on Feb. 24 from 7:30-10:30 p.m. on Main Street.

The “Spring Fling” took place on Main Street, with the cafeteria cleared to create a dance floor lined with glow strips and pastel balloons adorning the walls. Heart-shaped glasses and light-up flower crowns laid out on tables illuminated the cafeteria, drawing the attention of students as they entered the school.

The Student Council offered complimentary heart glasses and flower crowns at the Spring Fling. They also had a few tables set aside for sweets such as cupcakes, chocolate-covered strawberries and candy. (Helen Beebe)

Senior and STUCO Vice President of School Programs Saanvi Sadana was pleased by the turnout to the new event.

“Honestly, the energy was really great in the room,” Sadana said. “People love[d] the food, the dance floor [and] a lot of people stayed until the end.”

STUCO had scheduled to sell dance tickets for three days before Feb. 24. However, due to concerns about ticket sales and the security of the dance, the event was postponed via an announcement made on an Instagram post made on Feb. 19 until STUCO announced the dance’s recommencement the next day.

“With the setbacks we faced with ticket sales and putting the dance on, I didn’t expect that much success at the dance itself,” Sadana said. “But I think [the dance] went a lot better than expected [and] people seemed to really enjoy it. The hard work the officer team and the PTO put into the dance really paid off.”

Sophomore Maverick Law dances on his head in front of a group of spectators. Other break dancers later jumped in to show off their dance skills. (Claire Bradford)

Freshman and STUCO decorations committee member Kelcie Malone worked with STUCO officers to decide on the color theme and favors.

“At my old school, I wasn’t really involved in anything,” Malone said. “But this year since I’m a freshman, I wanted to get more involved with my school, so I decided to join Student Council. It was easier [to plan the dance] than I thought because there were a lot of help[ful] members and officers.”

Sophomore Quinn Cavanaugh attended the event and enjoyed the tight-knit atmosphere of a smaller group of people, as well as dancing with his friends.

“Me and my friend Daniel Percy try to go to as many dances as we can just because [they’re] a fun social event,” Cavanaugh said. “I think I enjoyed the Spring Fling more than the other dances that we’ve had this year. The people who did show up actually plan[ned] to dance and do things besides just sit at tables and talk.”

Seniors Kristen Lea and Talia Schwartz laugh as they dance together at the Spring Fling. They had taken turns twirling each other before joining a larger group of their friends. (Claire Bradford)

Sadana said she would like to see even more people attend the dance next year.

“Thankfully, we worked with our sponsors and admin and were able to put on the dance that we’ve been working so hard for,” Sadana said. “We have a great baseline, so [our changes for next year] are just improving the little details and, now that more people know about [the dance], maybe making it a new Bellaire tradition.”