‘GUTS’ album review

Grace Turney
Olivia Rodrigo released her “GUTS” album September 8, 2023 with a total of 12 tracks. My expectations were set high after the success of “SOUR,” her debut album, and Rodrigo exceeded them with her talented vocals and well-crafted lyrics.

all-american b****
This song deserved its spot as the opening track for the new Olivia Rodrigo album. It perfectly encompasses everything Rodrigo’s voice is capable of. Okay, not everything, because the truth is, her voice seems to have no limits to what it can do. But this song manages to showcase the soft, sweet parts of her voice while also embodying the bolder, more intense parts, where Rodrigo includes lyrics that discuss the frustrating confinement of being placed into a box as a girl. It starts with a very gentle melody with a blissful, airy tone. In the chorus, though, it quickly shifts to a louder, almost punk-rockish feel with Rodrigo full-out screaming in some places. Throughout the whole song, she is switching back and forth between these two extremes. I’m not sure how she makes the two opposites complement each other, rather than clash for attention, but it somehow works, adding an arrangement with interesting depth.

Favorite Lyric: “And I am built like a mother and a total machine”
Rating: 7.8/10

bad idea right?
Okay, if I’m being completely honest, I wasn’t too sure about this song at first. It’s unlike anything I’ve ever heard. The more I listened to it though, the better it got. Once I watched the music video, I was sold (PLEASE watch if you haven’t). The song starts with a very upbeat vibe, making it one of the faster paced tracks on the album. Through this energetic tempo and her informal tone, Rodrigo creates a casual, playful feeling. Her lyricism adds to this sensation – they aren’t as deep and symbolic as they usually are. Instead, they are simple and even a bit messy, like when Rodrigo sings “Can’t hear my thoughts / Like blah-blah-blah.” These lyrics aren’t like anything I’ve ever heard from Rodrigo, and I was excited to listen to a song that branches out in a way that adds such an engaging sense of amusement.

Favorite Lyric: “Yes, I know that he’s my ex / But can’t two people reconnect?”
Rating: 9/10

vampire
I can’t think of any word to describe this song except masterpiece. And even that doesn’t do it justice. It is so raw and powerful – it’s what I think of when I hear Olivia Rodrigo’s name. It’s just that good. The song starts with these floaty, quiet notes that progressively get louder and louder until it’s this really dramatic belt. Rodrigo does an incredible job of using the verse and the bridge to create an insane build up to the chorus. When I first listened to the song, I was completely speechless. It harnesses all of Rodrigo’s talent, from her songwriting ability to her vocals. Speaking of, I HAVE to mention her range. There are low notes done with a lot of breath and then high notes done with a strong, clear voice – both of these techniques are done flawlessly. I could keep ranting about just this one song for much longer than this quick review, but I’ll end it with one last compliment: the storytelling ability present here is immaculate and unmatched, deepening my respect for Rodrigo.

Favorite Lyric: “I see the parties and the diamonds sometimes when I close my eyes / Six months of torture you sold as some forbidden paradise”
Rating: 10/10

lacy
I don’t know what it is about this song, but it has such a compelling feel. Rodrigo captivates me with her breathy voice, whispery even. I’m not entirely sure what the meaning behind the song is, but I gathered that it seems to center around her admiration but also jealousy towards “lacy.” But whatever, or whoever, “lacy” refers to is unclear. This mysteriousness of the song’s message is parallel to its overall vibe: not only mysterious, but also delightfully creepy in a way. It reminds me of a dark lullaby, especially when Rodrigo calmly sings “It’s like you’re out to get me / You poison every little thing that I do” in a feathery voice. This lyricism is breathtaking, and the vocals even more so — all of the artistic choices Rodrigo makes creates a hauntingly beautiful piece of music.

Favorite Lyric: “Dear angel lacy / Eyes white as daisies”
Rating: 8.3/10

ballad of a homeschooled girl
This is one of the only songs on the “GUTS” album that I’m not a big fan of. There’s just something about the style that I don’t like. It might be the misleading title — before I listened to it, I was expecting, well, a ballad. A slow, peaceful song with a gentle melody. Instead, this song is very loud — basically the exact opposite of my expectations. And, don’t get me wrong, that loud, energetic feeling works really well in many of Rodrigo’s songs. It just doesn’t work for me in this one specifically. Something I do like, though, is the lyricism. It’s very relatable, especially when she says, “I laughed at the wrong time, sat with the wrong guy / Searching how to start a conversation on a website.” Awkward, even cringey moments and interactions are something everyone has experienced, and Rodrigo effectively captures those feelings through these lyrics.

Favorite Lyric: “I’m on the outside of the greatest inside joke”
Rating: 4/10

making the bed
This song will never get old, no matter how many times I hear it. And, considering that I’ve played it on repeat ever since it came out, that means a lot. The lyricism, the verses, the chorus, the meaning – everything is perfect. There are certain lyrics, though, throughout the song that really stick with me, including “I got the things I wanted / It’s just not what I imagined.” I love that pure genuinity in those words, and they hold such a deep sense of uncertainty and regret. The song goes on to send the message that we often blame our own mistakes on others, when in reality it’s the fault of our own choices. That is a harsh truth to face, but Rodrigo doesn’t attempt to cover it up, instead crafting these honest feelings into a heartfelt song.

Favorite Lyric: “Well, sometimes I feel like I don’t wanna be where I am”
Rating: 8/10

logical
Every time I listen to this, I get chills. Goosebumps. Rodrigo sings in such a passionate way that her wealth of emotions bleed through the lyrics. It’s one of my favorite things about her – she can articulate such poetical lyrics that capture such delicate rawness. This is really noticeable towards the end of the song, specifically when Rodrigo sings “Oh, why do I do this? / I look so stupid.” The tone in which she delivers these lines is enclosed with so much vulnerability, and it elevates the song to a whole other level.

Favorite Lyric: “The sky is green, the grass is red, and / You mean all those words you said”
Rating: 9.5/10

get him back!
I have not been able to get this song out of my head ever since it came out. I find myself humming the chorus without meaning to. It’s just so catchy. The song is funny, with lyrics like “Iwanna meet his mom / Just to tell her her son sucks” adding to the humor. This mischievous feel makes this song so fun and entertaining. It’s different from a lot of Rodrigo’s songs in the sense that it’s not as distraught or angsty. It’s still a song about heartbreak, but it’s comical and witty, rather than sad and regretful like many other songs. Don’t get me wrong, I love those songs, but I really enjoy this fresh approach from Rodrigo. Also, the idea for this song was genius. The play on the words “get him back,” implying wanting revenge but at the same time wanting to get back together with this guy, whoever he is, is really clever and makes for an amusing listen.

Favorite Lyric: “And when i told him how he hurt me, he’d tell me I was tripping / But I am my father’s daughter, so maybe I could fix him”
Rating: 8/10

love is embarrassing
I’m not going to lie, I don’t love this song. That said, I don’t hate it either. I’m honestly kind of neutral. There is a good beat that’s pretty memorable, which goes well with the overall light-hearted feel of the song. Also, it was cool to see how Rodrigo is reflecting over her past mistakes, but in a humorous way, almost laughing at herself. However, the song is a bit repetitive. I find myself getting bored the more times I listen to it.

Favorite Lyric: “I’m planning out my wedding / With some guy I’m never marrying”
Rating: 5/10

the grudge
If the rest of the “GUTS” album had been a disappointment, listening would still have been one hundred percent worth it purely because of this song. I can’t emphasize its literal perfection enough. Rodrigo writes these emotional lyrics with thoughtful craftsmanship that I’m in awe of. In only the couple lines of “Ooh, do you think i deserved it all? / Ooh, your flowers filled with vitriol?”, she packs so many feelings, like accusation and bitterness, that make the song so heartrending. These feelings keep building on each other throughout the entire song, which is something Rodrigo is really good at. I also love how relatable it is, especially to teenagers and young adults. It’s about the confusion and anger that come with any sort of betrayal, romantic or not; the lyrics also revolve around forgiveness, and how reaching that sort of closure can take time.

Favorite Lyric: “It takes strength to forgive, but I don’t feel strong”
Rating: 100/10

pretty isn’t pretty
This song kind of gives the same vibe as “jealousy, jealousy” from Rodrigo’s “SOUR” album. They both are based on the beauty standards for anyone, but especially young girls and women, which is a very real issue. A lot of teenagers struggle with society’s expectations of what they should wear or look like, and this song relates to those insecurities a lot. Besides the very relevant message of the song, it also has a strong, 80s-inspired melody, keeping my attention well after the first listen.

Favorite Lyric: “You can win the battle / But you’ll never win the war”
Rating: 8.1/10

teenage dream
I truly don’t understand how Rodrigo writes lyrics that perfectly encompass the feelings of her listeners. Because, at least for me, a lot of these lyrics go through my mind in almost the exact way they are presented in the song. It’s kind of creepy. Seriously, though, we all know Rodrigo is a master songwriter and this song does nothing but reinforce that. These lyrics and the melody of the song work together, producing this soothing and soft sensation until the very end when it becomes faster and louder. During this more powerful part of the song, Rodrigo sings, “They all say that it gets better / It gets better, but what if I don’t?” This really resonates with me. I think that this relatability is what makes this song so perfect and, on theme with the title of the album, undeniably gut-wrenching.

Favorite Lyric: “Will I spend all the rest of my years wishing I could go back?”
Rating: 10/10

View Comments (1)