Ways to unwind after starting school

Art by Sophia Zhao
Getting pulled into a good book is one of several activities to relax. All of them are aimed to ease your school-induced stress.

After finishing the first week back to school, it’s safe to say we’re all tired and ready for the long weekend. Between getting up earlier, staying up later with homework and simply becoming adjusted to a routine once again, we could all use a break. So, here are a few activities to do over the long weekend to relieve your stress and give you a chance to have fun.

Read a good book
We’re all guilty of daydreaming during class. Maybe the lecture lasts a little longer than our attention span does, or maybe something outside the window sidetracks us from our work. Either way, it lets us escape reality for a small but meaningful amount of time. A book does the same thing. Curling up with your favorite novel can distract you from your current worries, whatever they may be. A complex mystery with plot twists at every turn of the page might await you, or perhaps it’s an adventure-filled fantasy with exciting quests. Any genre will allow your mind to take a break from your own life and follow the one of a character. Also, there’s a chance for rain this weekend, which makes reading an even better experience. Reading under a warm blanket while listening to the gentle pitter-patter of rain is a perfect remedy for stress.

Watch Netflix
This first week has been a bit chaotic as we figure out our schedules with school, homework and extracurriculars. It’s definitely a big change from summer, where most of us spent a decent amount of time watching TV. And while watching hours and hours of TV shows might not be the most beneficial thing, no one can deny the comfort in turning on your favorite show. The long weekend gives you the perfect opportunity to rewatch a show you love, or find a new favorite. “Grey’s Anatomy” is my current obsession – the characters are interesting and funny, and there’s never any shortage of drama. It’s definitely a big commitment; though, so some shorter shows worth watching include, “Wednesday” and “Ginny & Georgia.” Both of these have well-thought-out plots that are sure to keep your mind off of schoolwork for a while.

Get ready for fall
Although summer was free of homework and late nights studying for tests, the start of the school year does bring the anticipation of autumn. It will take some time before the temperatures start dropping, but that doesn’t mean we can’t start looking forward and preparing for the change in season. Hobby Lobby is already stocked with supplies to decorate in the familiar fall aesthetic, full of gold and auburn hues. On a similar note, Starbucks recently released their fall drinks, including flavors like pumpkin and apple crisp. Another way to get excited about cooler weather is to buy a couple new, warm, comfortable clothes. From knit sweaters to soft beanies, there are so many different options to making cute outfits that are just right for the chilly air. If none of these activities sound enjoyable, spend the long weekend baking a yummy treat, like snickerdoodle cookies that are rich with autumn spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. You will feel more refreshed after surrounding yourself with the cozy vibes of autumn, rather than with your notebooks and worksheets.

Hang out with friends
All of us were probably excited for the first days of school for the same reason: to see all of our friends again. The social aspect of school is a big motivator for going against your deep desire to snooze the alarm, choosing to get an early start on the day instead. However, even though we see our friends everyday at school, it’s not the same thing as creating memories outside of school. Evelyn’s Park is a great spot to get together with friends. There’s a restaurant with delicious foods perfect for sharing between a friend group of any size. With outdoor seating, it’s also a good way to get some fresh air which is a must after having been stuck inside for eight hours a day for the past week. The Rice Village is another prime destination for fun outings. There’s a variety of shops and restaurants, so no one will ever get bored. Talking, laughing and eating with friends is a sure way to put you in a more relaxed mindset.

Have a family game or movie night
Once we start school, our focus is fixed almost entirely on homework and studying. It’s hard to find a balance between school and our non-academic life, especially since it’s so early in the year, and we’re still acclimating to a new workload. And as our classes take priority, we put things that are far more important on the back burner, such as time spent with our family. A game or movie night is a perfect way to do that. Movie nights are an awesome way to wind down and take a brain break, engrossing yourself in a thrilling adventure or a cheesy romance rather than a chemistry textbook. While movies are a relaxing way to enjoy family time, game nights offer a more energetic and fast-paced way to bond. From the strategic game of “Monopoly” to the mysterious game of “Clue,” there’s something everyone can enjoy. Whatever you choose, there’s bound to be plenty of fun – and some friendly competition – that will ease the weight of academic obligations.