Helping Homeless Cats, Dogs

Animals lovers: How to earn community service hours over the holidays
Photo provided by Bennett Sacks
Volunteers were assigned the task of walking dogs from their cages to the play pin area. Some dogs were carried when they refused to move or got too frightened.

My parents always joke that I should be a veterinarian when I grow up. I was always fond of animals even at a young age. I would untangle wires from pigeons’ feet. I would diagnose gout in my chameleon. I would sense when my dog was acting strange.
I was constantly searching for other ways I could volunteer for dogs and cats. I always dreamed of volunteering at an animal shelter. However, the only thing holding me back was my age. I wanted to find a place where I felt I was making a difference and helping these animals hands-on.
Finally I stumbled upon the Petco Mega Adoption Event. I can confidently say after volunteering with them for the second time that it was the most impactful experience I’ve ever had.
This event happens once a year over the span of about 1-3 days in September. Volunteers work to clean cages, give dogs water, walk the dogs and best of all help these dogs and cats get a loving home. Through my experience, the morning shift was definitely a pain. The dogs stay in the cage overnight so in the morning there is plenty to clean. Cleaning soggy, shredded paper with poo, pee and dog food smudged everywhere is not fun. Even though I gagged to the point I needed to take a break and changed gloves and went through at least two paper towel rolls, it was worth it. Seeing these dogs get a home of their own made all of the struggling worth it.

Puppies were kept separate from grown dogs and hand sanitizer was used when going between the two. Adoptees waited outside for about 1-2 hours to adopt the limited amount of puppies. (Ariana Castaneda)

Along with the joy of caring for the dogs and playing with them, the best feeling is when you help one find a new home. I remember seeing the instant connection between the excited puppy and the begging kid, pleading “Can we keep him, mom?” I remember finding perfect matches for each family and remembering where each small dog breed was located for those who had space limitations. I remember crying and texting my mom after the small labrador got a new family after I promised him by the end of the shift he will get adopted, because he was rejected by two families prior.
While this event may seem like easy community hours, it was the most impactful act for me. I learned what it was like to help those without a home, without a family, without love. Even though I’ll be graduating and leaving People for Animal Welfare and Security (PAWS) and NHS – the two clubs that introduced me to this amazing event – I will make sure I’m in town to volunteer next year.

Here are three ways you can also help animals during the holidays:

Volunteer at an animal shelter like Houston Humane Society and Houston SPCA.
There are many animal shelters located around Houston that are in search of volunteers. Make sure to check each requirement like age, fees and training. You can also foster dogs or cats over the Winter Break. If you can’t volunteer in person due to allergies, you can help promote animal shelters on social media. In June, I submitted a photo I took at the Mega Adoption Event into the Bellaire Buzz 2023 Photo Contest. I won the contest and got to bring attention to the life in an animal shelter.

This photo won The Buzz Magazines’ 2023 Photo Contest. The photo was taken when two dogs refused to leave their cage when volunteers were cleaning. The photo represents the fear of separation between the two dogs and their life of shelter. (Rilina Tran)

Donate food, toys or blankets
In Colorado, 9-year-old Milly Kukuczka organized a pet drive with Denver Dumb Friend League to honor her dog that died last Christmas. You can take inspiration from this and ask animal shelters if they have pet drives. Pet stores like Petco and Petsmart accepts online donation and has donation boxes located in their store.

After my four hours shift in the dog section I visited the cat section which was sectioned off by black curtains. A total of about 1,000 dogs and cats were at George R. Brown Convention in 2022. (Rilina Tran)

Spend time with your own furry family member
Not only can you utilize your two weeks break to help other dogs and cats out there to spread the holiday spirit, but also be sure to spend time with your own family. Spend and cherish every moment with your pet. Maybe even take them to JCPenny for a photoshoot or to the dog park or dog friendly restaurants. Spread the word about volunteering and getting these animals a loving home. About 68,945 dogs and cats were euthanized in animal shelters in Texas in 2022. You can make a difference and lower that number one pet at a time.